Help me pick my last fish

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 75 gallons that’s been running for a little over a month after cycling. I’ve been slowly adding a fish or two every 7-10 days. I want to buy one more fish and then keep one open spot for a utility fish in the future, if need be.

I want a peaceful tank and not too much sand disturbing/spitting because of corals to come. The Allen’s damsel like to dig, spit and generally make a mess. So no more like her. One is enough.

What I have now :
2 oscellaris clown fish
1 banggai cardinal
1 allen’s damselfish (peaceful)
1 yellow eye cole

To come soon, from hospital tank
tail spot blenny

Total : 6 fish

Choices at my LFS (the only one I will buy from)
Firefish
Purple firefish
Blue reef chromis (2-3 ?)

Other choice : just wait until other fish are available. Tomorrow is black friday and fish are on sale, but I shouldn’t pick fosh just because they are on sale. That’s what I keep telling myself, lol !

Thank you !

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would totally get a nice looking goby just because they really add a different level of cleansing to the sand. you could also try a fairy or flasher wrasse, they are really nice fish. if i were you i would try the mccosker's wrasse. they are beautiful and are really peaceful plus they will go for like 30 bucks sometimes.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would totally get a nice looking goby just because they really add a different level of cleansing to the sand. you could also try a fairy or flasher wrasse, they are really nice fish. if i were you i would try the mccosker's wrasse. they are beautiful and are really peaceful plus they will go for like 30 bucks sometimes.

There’s a carpenter’s flasher wrasse in stock but I’ve read they can be hit or miss. Some are aggressive. And they go in the sand I believe ?

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well usually they are okay. i would go to the store and see how it looks and if it is overly aggressive then i wouldn't buy it. but usually new fish aren't quick to bully old ones, also just make sure that you have enough live rock and enough space.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are only adding one more then wait for the one that really speaks to your heart.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are only adding one more then wait for the one that really speaks to your heart.

I don’t really have one. I wanted a wrasse and I had decided against it but now I’m reading more and the carpenter’s wrasse looks like a good choice.

I’m paranoid about disease so I want to fully stock the tank and not bring in anymore fish.

So I’m torn.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Helfrichi firefish.
I’d recommend one of those if you are looking at firefish. They are the best looking in my opinion. Ans a little more special then a purple firefish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 75 gallons that’s been running for a little over a month after cycling. I’ve been slowly adding a fish or two every 7-10 days. I want to buy one more fish and then keep one open spot for a utility fish in the future, if need be.

I want a peaceful tank and not too much sand disturbing/spitting because of corals to come. The Allen’s damsel like to dig, spit and generally make a mess. So no more like her. One is enough.

What I have now :
2 oscellaris clown fish
1 banggai cardinal
1 allen’s damselfish (peaceful)
1 yellow eye cole

To come soon, from hospital tank
tail spot blenny

Total : 6 fish

Choices at my LFS (the only one I will buy from)
Firefish
Purple firefish
Blue reef chromis (2-3 ?)

Other choice : just wait until other fish are available. Tomorrow is black friday and fish are on sale, but I shouldn’t pick fosh just because they are on sale. That’s what I keep telling myself, lol !

Thank you !
So… I have recently picked up my (Maybe) last fish and it’s a tilefish, if you have a stable lid that isn’t loose then one of those guys may be an option (I personally bought the flashing tilefish and if that does well I may try a marcosi tilefish if I have room).
7376E345-547D-48A5-BF82-B7AA7475DE50.jpeg

That’s a photo of my flashing tilefish when he was temp acclimating (I know it’s bad but he went in just 30-20 minutes ago so I don’t think he’ll be out just yet), although he was out for Atleast 5 minutes the instant he went in whilst everyone else was bickering on the other side of the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the flasher wrasse was sold when I called and there aren’t any other fish that I like.

I guess that’s it for a while. I’ll have to wait until the LFS gets a new batch of fish. And no new fish just before Christmas as there’s places to go and I like to keep a constant eye on new inhabitants.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the flasher wrasse was sold when I called and there aren’t any other fish that I like.

I guess that’s it for a while. I’ll have to wait until the LFS gets a new batch of fish. And no new fish just before Christmas as there’s places to go and I like to keep a constant eye on new inhabitants.
That’s unfortunate… although I will say a flasher isn’t the nicest of wrasse!! I have the Lubbock’s fairy (Both male variants) and if I’m honest they’re my favourites from the genus Cirrhilabrus and the genus paracheilinus (Fairy & Flasher wrasses).

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s unfortunate… although I will say a flasher isn’t the nicest of wrasse!! I
Do you mean not nice to look at or not nice as in aggressive ?

Everything I’ve read says carpenter’s flasher wrasses are very peaceful and reef safe. They don’t bury in the sand and leave inverts and corals alone. To me that’s all important.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back