Help me pick my next fish (reef safe)

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm finally getting this fish thing down. I've learned that quarantining is ESSENTIAL in this hobby. No excuses. I will always, always quarantine before adding to the tank.

I'm looking for some help on picking my next fish. I currently have:

Two black clowns
5"-ish Purple Tang
3"-ish Kole Yellow Eye Tang
5"-ish Lamarck Angel (currently in QT, looking great)

I have a Waterbox 130.4 with a Deltec 600i skimmer and BRS carbon reactor. I currently have very low nutrient levels (which is unfortunately starving my corals....but I'm working on this) so I'm not worried about excess nutrients in the system currently. I'm currently thinking of getting one of the following for my next fish:

Potter's angel (worried about my corals though)
Foxface
Blue throat trigger (tank might be a bit too small)
Princess Anthias (or some other kind of pink-ish Anthias)

Interested in what others would add in my situation. Thank you in advance!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias would work, but require multiple feedings a day to be healthy.

Foxface would work.

Have you thought of wrasses?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5 inch Purple Tang will make things a challenge as it is likely to treat any new addition as a threat/competition. What size is your tank? The Blue Throat Trigger is safer than other triggers, but it is still a "With Caution" fish when it comes to corals and inverts. The Potter's tends to be a bit better behaved than your average Dwarf Angel, but once again is still a risk. I will say that a well established tank with algae growing will help increase your chances of success with any dwarf angel. Foxface is an excellent choice.

OP
OP
M

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5 inch Purple Tang will make things a challenge as it is likely to treat any new addition as a threat/competition. What size is your tank? The Blue Throat Trigger is safer than other triggers, but it is still a "With Caution" fish when it comes to corals and inverts. The Potter's tends to be a bit better behaved than your average Dwarf Angel, but once again is still a risk. I will say that a well established tank with algae growing will help increase your chances of success with any dwarf angel. Foxface is an excellent choice.

The tank is the Waterbox 130.4. Its 4' x 2' x 2' with a sump. The purple tang has been getting along extremely well with the Kole tang oddly enough. The Kole was added first, the purple tang came about 6 weeks later. I know this is likely due to the fact the purple is bigger, but so far he's a model citizen.

Thoughts on the magnificent Foxface? Little different looking, I assume they are similar to the standard one?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is the Waterbox 130.4. Its 4' x 2' x 2' with a sump. The purple tang has been getting along extremely well with the Kole tang oddly enough. The Kole was added first, the purple tang came about 6 weeks later. I know this is likely due to the fact the purple is bigger, but so far he's a model citizen.

Thoughts on the magnificent Foxface? Little different looking, I assume they are similar to the standard one?

Their behavior and temperament is same.

OP
OP
M

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias would work, but require multiple feedings a day to be healthy.

Foxface would work.

Have you thought of wrasses?

I have had horrible luck with wrasses (althought this was before I knew about quarantining). I do, however, really like the various types of fairy wrasses: lots of really great colors. I want a fish with a big splash of color to contrast the black clowns and the Lamarck angel (who, even though is somewhat "plain" looking is probably my favorite fish in the tank!).

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres chrysus (yellow) getting one soon.

Cirrhilabrus solorensis (Solon) I have.

Halichoeres claudia (Christmas) getting one soon.

Macropharyngodon bipartitus (blue star) female. I have.

OP
OP
M

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres chrysus (yellow) getting one soon.

Cirrhilabrus solorensis (Solon) I have.

Halichoeres claudia (Christmas) getting one soon.

Macropharyngodon bipartitus (blue star) female. I have.

Love all of those! Liveaquaria says that the yellow and Christmas are "fish only" tank wrasses though :/

How is the Solon wrasse? Love the colors on him.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love all of those! Liveaquaria says that the yellow and Christmas are "fish only" tank wrasses though :/

Solon is a great addition to my reef, eats like a pig. I've had the others before. They will only go after small species shrimp, maybe a snail but I've never seen that. Other than that, thats why they say fish only.

The Vermiculite is a awesome fish for me as well.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we are talking about Wrasses, why no go all out and get a Mystery Wrasse. Or take that one step further and get the beautiful holy grail of all Wrasses...the Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse!

OP
OP
M

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we are talking about Wrasses, why no go all out and get a Mystery Wrasse. Or take that one step further and get the beautiful holy grail of all Wrasses...the Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse!

I really like both of those. Why does the Mystery Wrasse on the Liveaquaria website look like he's been up all night doing coke though?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they're reef safe for corals, they just might snack on inverts here or there

i just added a red line wrasse, h. biocellatus, beautiful fish! thinking about getting a chrysus too

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mystery wrasse in qt. Got him from DD. He is a cool looking fish and so far well behaved.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They say that because the Halichoeres wrasses can sometimes pick off snails, hermits and smaller shrimp. They are safe with corals though. As for the Salon, mine was a complete jerk and every one I have seen is at least somewhat assertive.

Back