Help me pick my next vehicle, SUV

  • Thread starter Thread starter GHsaltie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have a fairly unique perspective on vehicles as I disassemble the interiors for a living... 6 days/week for the last 25 years. Anything from $300,000 exotics to Geo Prizms and everything in between, from brand new to 100 years old. Also semis, boats, motorcycles, RVs, buses, ATVs, limos, off-road and so on. I get to see how the interiors and the rest of the vehicle hold up over time. I will say for the money, Japanese manufactured vehicles hold up the best overall... plain and simple. That's a sample size of about 30,000 vehicles I have personally worked on and another 60,000 that my other employees have worked on under my supervision. Your main ones being Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru and Mazda. Or likewise, Acura, Lexus and Infiniti. Personally, my wife and I own an Infiniti QX60 mid-sized SUV. We love it so much that we are on our 2nd one. AWD is great and it's VERY roomy for a mid-sized. Gets really good gas mileage for its power. If you want to save some loot, then you could go with the Nissan version... the Pathfinder. If you are looking for a more robust mid-sized SUV, and are willing to give up a little bit of handling and ride comfort, then you could go with the Toyota 4-Runner... I believe it's the only mid-sized SUV still built on a truck chassis. Acura MDX is nice, the new Mazda CX-9 is very nice... although it had considerable less room than our Infiniti QX60. The CX-9 Limited was actually one of our top choices, but we were use to the size of our first QX60... so that's why we bought another one. The new Fords seem to be very nice, but time will tell. A lot of the domestic manufacturers have seemed to step up their game with tolerances etc... notably Ford. As for Japanese manufacturers, Subaru has stepped up there game as far as interior refinement... they have always been really plain and boring. We all know Subarus last forever as far as the drivetrain. They just have very limited options for SUVs. Let me know if you have any specific vehicles you want me to comment on, I have worked on everything out there! I didn't mention BMW, Audi, Volvo etc as I assume they are more than what you are wanting to spend.
 
I have a 2013 Ford Edge Limited (bought new) and my wife drives a 2010 Honda CRV LX (bought new). The CRV is the worst car I've ever owned (I'm 65 so that's a few). Always at the dealer's shop for something and the repair prices you'd think it was a high priced sports car. @63,000 miles... power door locks twice, electric window 1, catalytic converter $1247.00 plus tax, the original tires lasted only 24,000 miles (39,000 on the replacements that will be bought new again for the winter), 2 recalls (air bags & something else that I forget) plus a extended warranty for "sticky piston rings".
Now the Edge (@46,000 miles) is one of the best cars I've owned (GEO Prism was the best @248,000 miles when I sold it) not one problem EXCEPT for the brakes. The rotors rust VERY quickly here in New Jersey with winter road salt and damp/rainy weather (I don't live anywhere near the ocean). I have a old "beater" car for work (50 miles per day) so the Edge is used 2 times during the week for work and on weekends. I have 1 complete brake job done and I'm rather easy on brakes but rust wears the pads down fast and, of course, have to replace the rotors also. The CRV rotors don't rust even after sitting in the driveway for a week or longer. So I would buy another Ford Edge even with the rotor problem (love the car) but Honda CRV no way. Maybe we have a lemon but the Honda rep is BS as far as I'm concerned.
 
@Broadfield that is definitely helpful! My dad owned, and worked in, an auto body shop for 30 some years and he is always stressing to me the importance of a vehicle that is going to last more than anything. And one that I don't have to rush in for repairs every few months. I hadn't heard that about the Japanese manufactured vehicles so that's an interesting bit of information, and has got me back to square one rats! Thankfully it'll be a few months more before I will be in a position to make a decision. @Oberst Oswald thanks for the info, I think I've pretty well scratched the CRV off the list.
 
We've had a rav4 for the last few years, bought it because my wife wanted a small SUV, but still needed something I can fit in to drive( I was an offensive lineman in college). Its been a really solid vehicle and is fairly roomy to be so compact. Ignore the window sticker we hover around 27-28 mpg, think they advertise 32. Good all around car, we have been satisfied, but will probably go with the next size up when we buy a new one.
 
Sorry if I missed it but you stated that you wanted to tow something. What is it that you want to tow?
 
Nothing crazy big maybe a smaller uhaul, utility trailer, small boat things of that nature.
 
A good bang for the buck is a first gen Toyota Sequoia a million out there with very good pricing. Or a 2003 isch Toyota Four Runner with the V/8
 
As a tow truck driver whose seen all of these things break down I'd say stay away from any Chrysler product. No new Chrysler dodge or jeep would ever be a consideration for me. Everyone I've owned has had serious problems in some way or another.id also say stay away from anything European Honda, the CRV and HRV are both pretty nice. I saw the Acura MDX mentioned which is a good choice as well And they are beautiful imo. Subarus are nice with awd if your in the north but always Feels awkward to me. I personally would not get a Tahoe or Yukon or really any GM SUV from my experience their electrical issues are ridiculous. Mitshibishis seem to be quite reliable but they do tend to be cheaper and that is reflected in some aspects the one I owned was great mechanically but small issues were abound for example my door handle broke off due to heat at 10 years old which honestly is not that old. I can't really say anything about the ford edge I don't tow many. But from my experience other ford veichles have traditionally weak transmissions.

Hope this helps also bear in mind I see everything from the broken side, I don't see too much of the good.
 
I have both the Jeep V-8 G C, it's a 2004, best engine ever, new models are less dependable, I also have the Forrester, it's by far the best for the buck, 4 cy, but it comes in a 6. Properly the best choice all around, great mpg, maintenance, totally turn key operation.
 
If you want to tow, even small/light duty, I would eliminate the 4 cyl. engine models. MDX, RDX, Pilot, Mitsu Outlook V6, 4Runner, Highlander would be the SUV's I'd be looking at.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new