Help me pick my next vehicle, SUV

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to shop around now for a new vehicle and this time I'm wanting something SUV like. My first car was a Nissan Versa sv and although I loved that car, mostly, I want something bigger with more room, some towing capacity, but still good on mileage. Right now I'm looking at the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, and Ford Edge. Now I'm not car-savvy at all, so I won't know any technical terms haha. So if you've got one of these let me know what you think or you can input on other vehicles that you like.

PSLReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up an Acura MDX. Smaller SUV but has third row seating and of course it's an Acura so will last forever if you plan t I keep it longterm. They also have the smaller rdx

NickNiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Jeep Cherokee/GC models if they're within your price range... I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo and the only thing needed in the last 5 years were oil changes and new brake pads! Unfortunately the V8 only gets 11mpg, but still a tank of a vehicle. Not sure if they still make them like that though...

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter just bought a Jeep Renegade. Decent 4WD system, actually qualified for some real offroad use. Little 4 cyl, gets decent mileage. Not going to win any races... More room in it than I would have thought there would be. Price was right.

My wife wanted a compact SUV, I bought her a Chevy Trax last year, mainly just because it was cheap, and she is really hard on cars. Honestly, if we'd have drove the jeep, I'd have probably gone that way. More room, better 4WD, about the same price.

I'm a Toyota fan, hard to go wrong with a Rav4, but you'll pay a bunch more for it that you would for the Renegade.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subaru Forester? Fits in the same segment as those listed you are currently looking at but with a superior AWD system (my opinion). May not be as important to you in a more mild climate as it is for those of us up north. But, worth a look, IMO.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subaru Forester? Fits in the same segment as those listed you are currently looking at but with a superior AWD system (my opinion). May not be as important to you in a more mild climate as it is for those of us up north. But, worth a look, IMO.

+1. Best AWD system out there absent maybe Audi. Safe vehicles, easy to drive, decent mileage. My daughter will be getting my Crosstrek as her first car.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. Best AWD system out there absent maybe Audi. Safe vehicles, easy to drive, decent mileage. My daughter will be getting my Crosstrek as her first car.
Make that +2, my wife loves her Forester

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you which not to get....the Hyundai Tuscon. We love the look of ours but it is the worst driving car from a stop I have ever owned. It is good in the snow though which is the main reason we got it.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for all the replies, several of these I hadn't even thought of so I'll do some more researching. Keep it coming!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are buying used make sure you at least Google Kelly blue book value, consumer reports customer satisfaction/ trade in value. Also ask for the car fax report. If they show you the vanity mirror, LEAVE.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We currently have a Honda CRV and went to Honda to buy another. We saw the HRV and purchased that instead, and love it (on day two). Not sure it will fit your bill...slightly smaller overall and with a smaller engine. But you can't beat the price.....$4000 less than the CRV. We actually got the EX-L Navi...fully loaded.

2017-honda-hr-v-front_11571_032_640x480_wa.png

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although Audis are expensive to fix...

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suzuki x90 :rolleyes:

Wait you said bigger, roomier and can tow? Nevermind.

Still a fun 4x4 though. :cool:

I'd look into Jeeps. I miss my 94 Cherokee 4x4 Sport.

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a BMW fan... can't beat the X5 for 4x4 (except maybe a RR) and we also have the 220d GT which is a great compact 7 seater. Not sure if the same is available in the U.S. as here in the UK, but the little 220 will hit 60mpg.

Another car I had recently, albeit a bit more costly is the MB GLC220... beautiful, practical, quiet, comfy and even more economical than the Beemer.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm liking the Jeep and maybe Ford explorer.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back