Help Me Plumb My 50 Lagoon!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please excuse the crude drawing, but its the best i can do and i think i get my point across.
0E08B7C9-EB1C-498B-8470-172A8FE85815.jpeg
What do you guys think? Tank is a Nuvo 50 Lagoon EXT with external overflow off the back. I want to order my plumbing parts so i figured i would think this one through! I have a 2nd option off to the left for the lower return section...

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just finished the build out of my own IM lagoon 50 EXT so feel free to ask any questions you may have.

With that said, here is what I've done (sorry for the garbage pictures)

IMG_7244.jpg

IMG_7121.jpg

(dry fitting so please excuse the cockeyed gate valve and short emergency drain)

From the overflow box - For the primary drain, I have a have a union directly below the overflow, a longer piece of pipe that goes straight down to a *45, then the gate valve, another *45 and into the sump. I placed the gate valve down by the sump because I'll want ready access to it, rather then trying to get behind the tank. For the emergency drain I have another union directly below the overflow, a long straight piece of pipe, another union, a 90*, a small piece of straight pipe, another 90*, more straight pipe, a 3rd 90* and a piece of pipe about 10" long that sits just below the water level in the sump. In the 2nd image you can see how I routed the emergency to the other side of the main drain.

For the return - A piece of flexible hose to a barbed fitting, a T going to the manifold, a 45* then a union, a run of straight pipe, another union then a 90* into the return bulkhead.

I only used slip fittings (nothing threaded) and used 1" for the drains, 3/4" for the return and 1/2" for the manifold.

Thats the quick and dirty version, let me know if you have questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've just finished the build out of my own IM lagoon 50 EXT so feel free to ask any questions you may have.

With that said, here is what I've done (sorry for the garbage pictures)

IMG_7244.jpg

IMG_7121.jpg

(dry fitting so please excuse the cockeyed gate valve and short emergency drain)

From the overflow box - For the primary drain, I have a have a union directly below the overflow, a longer piece of pipe that goes straight down to a *45, then the gate valve, another *45 and into the sump. I placed the gate valve down by the sump because I'll want ready access to it, rather then trying to get behind the tank. For the emergency drain I have another union directly below the overflow, a long straight piece of pipe, another union, a 90*, a small piece of straight pipe, another 90*, more straight pipe, a 3rd 90* and a piece of pipe about 10" long that sits just below the water level in the sump. In the 2nd image you can see how I routed the emergency to the other side of the main drain.

For the return - A piece of flexible hose to a barbed fitting, a T going to the manifold, a 45* then a union, a run of straight pipe, another union then a 90* into the return bulkhead.

I only used slip fittings (nothing threaded) and used 1" for the drains, 3/4" for the return and 1/2" for the manifold.

Thats the quick and dirty version, let me know if you have questions.
Thanks! How do you like the tank? I went back and forth for a month before deciding on it! Did yours come with the shelf for the stand?!

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! How do you like the tank? I went back and forth for a month before deciding on it! Did yours come with the shelf for the stand?!

So far I love it. At least with my unit the quality is up there with some of the more boutique brands. I grabbed it on black friday but only finally got around to transferring my livestock last week so I dont have that much history with it. However, I'm upgrading from an IM lagoon 25 AIO I had running for 2yrs and that tank was also great.

Mine did come with the shelf (as did my IM 25) I've heard from others they did not get one so I dont know how that works.

Have you decided on equipment yet? I've got the IM tank and stand, a trigger sapphire 26" sump, Current eflux 1050gph return pump, BM curve 5 skimmer, a reef breeders RP-M power head and for lighting I'm using the Aquatic Life 24" T5 hybrid with 4 ATI blue+ bulbs and 2x kessil A80's to tune the color throughout the day.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far I love it. At least with my unit the quality is up there with some of the more boutique brands. I grabbed it on black friday but only finally got around to transferring my livestock last week so I dont have that much history with it. However, I'm upgrading from an IM lagoon 25 AIO I had running for 2yrs and that tank was also great.

Mine did come with the shelf (as did my IM 25) I've heard from others they did not get one so I dont know how that works.

Have you decided on equipment yet? I've got the IM tank and stand, a trigger sapphire 26" sump, Current eflux 1050gph return pump, BM curve 5 skimmer, a reef breeders RP-M power head and for lighting I'm using the Aquatic Life 24" T5 hybrid with 4 ATI blue+ bulbs and 2x kessil A80's to tune the color throughout the day.
Thanks for the info! Most of my equipment is coming from my Red Sea. I ordered a Fiji Cube 20” sump, i have a Reef Octopus Varios2 return pump, a pair of Vortech MP10, an Aquamaxx FC-80 skimmer, and brand new Radion XR30 pro gen 4. I also have an Apex with a few modules and a Dos. Im really hoping to run this tank 5 years!

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Most of my equipment is coming from my Red Sea. I ordered a Fiji Cube 20” sump, i have a Reef Octopus Varios2 return pump, a pair of Vortech MP10, an Aquamaxx FC-80 skimmer, and brand new Radion XR30 pro gen 4. I also have an Apex with a few modules and a Dos. Im really hoping to run this tank 5 years!

I dont know much about the new radions (I've had very poor experiences with ecotech products so I stay away) but its a large footprint to light up. Thankfully since its shallow you can up the intensity of the light and physically raise it a bit for better spread. I hate the look of the hanging T5's but it was the only way I found to light it without spending as much on lighting as I did on the tank and stand. I'm very curious how that works out for you. One of these days I may switch back to just LED's.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont know much about the new radions (I've had very poor experiences with ecotech products so I stay away) but its a large footprint to light up. Thankfully since its shallow you can up the intensity of the light and physically raise it a bit for better spread. I hate the look of the hanging T5's but it was the only way I found to light it without spending as much on lighting as I did on the tank and stand. I'm very curious how that works out for you. One of these days I may switch back to just LED's.
Im going to hang it 12 inches high and see how it does. I figured i would need to add a T5 hybrid setup at some point.. im going to wait on that for a bit though!

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Solid equipment list you got there. I've got a fijicube 24" sump, very good quality. Let me know how that varios 2 pump fits in the return section. I have a varios 2 in my 24" sump, but was thinking about another tank and I was looking at the fijicube 20" sump for the tank and a varios 2 pump

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to hang it 12 inches high and see how it does. I figured i would need to add a T5 hybrid setup at some point.. im going to wait on that for a bit though!

Yeah my wife was less than pleased to come home and see the T5's hanging from the ceiling... ;Meh

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Solid equipment list you got there. I've got a fijicube 24" sump, very good quality. Let me know how that varios 2 pump fits in the return section. I have a varios 2 in my 24" sump, but was thinking about another tank and I was looking at the fijicube 20" sump for the tank and a varios 2 pump
Thanks, ive slowly been buying overkill equipment knowing that i was going to be upgrading my tank when i bought a house. Well finally the time has come! I will let you know about the Varios when the sump gets here. I ordered it yesterday so hopefully i have it next week! The tank wont be here for a whole month though :(
Yeah my wife was less than pleased to come home and see the T5's hanging from the ceiling... ;Meh
Haha ya im not sure how ill like the look of it either but if it produces the results im looking for then ill just have to ignore it! How does the 24 inch hybrid look over the tank?

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, did you order direct from IM? Who delivered the tank? Was it all wrapped on a pallet? Did the call first? Can i carry this thing inside by myself?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, did you order direct from IM? Who delivered the tank? Was it all wrapped on a pallet? Did the call first? Can i carry this thing inside by myself?

I ordered through the IM website. I cant remember the specific company name, but some west coast LTL freight carrier. Between IM and the freight company I was kept pretty in the loop. They'll also provide a tracking number so you can watch its progress. I think the freight company called me 48hrs before to schedule the drop off. I didnt elect for in-home delivery or any of the "upgrades" so it was dropped "curbside" in reality it was up my driveway. Its a small pallet as pallets go, probably 250lbs but thats still a lot of weight. Unbox it with the freight guy still there to make sure its not cracked. Then you'll want a second person to help you lift it, but it'll fit through a door easily and two average size people can handle it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back