Help me to understand

  • Thread starter Thread starter Scdell
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
This is an interesting observation. I too had black sand in my last tank. LPS thrived and had great growth but any Acro I added would RTN within a few days. My new tank is setup also with caribsea sand, Fiji pink and Bahamas oolite. I didn’t do an icp test but suspected heavy metal poisoning just from what I’ve read about it but couldn’t figure out the source after checking many times for rust or stray metal anywhere. To think it could’ve been the black sand. Hmmm.
Yes! Put a magnet on the black sand. It'll stick. Check around. There are quite a few threads out there about it. That's what I ran up against. Half the acros I put in the tank would RTN. Now the ones that didn't? They do all right. Some better than others. I did notice the more carbon I used and heavy skimming. The better the tank did. It was driving me crazy!
 
This is an interesting observation. I too had black sand in my last tank. LPS thrived and had great growth but any Acro I added would RTN within a few days. My new tank is setup also with caribsea sand, Fiji pink and Bahamas oolite. I didn’t do an icp test but suspected heavy metal poisoning just from what I’ve read about it but couldn’t figure out the source after checking many times for rust or stray metal anywhere. To think it could’ve been the black sand. Hmmm.
When I took the black sand out? The sand bed was devoid of any life. Changed it out about a week ago. I'm already seeing much more pods and such.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new