Help me with my fish room electrical layout design.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be having a house built with a fish room. My tank build will be an in-wall 225 (72L x 30D x 24T). Only the front of the tank will be visible in the living room, everything else will be in the fish room. I will have the opportunity to designate electricity and water specifically for the fish room. I have no idea what to tell the contractor that i want in terms of the electrical. What i do know is that i want to be able to separate the fish room from the rest of the house and connect a generator to it in the event of a power failure, and i don't want any of the other rooms in the house to be able to affect my fish room. What do i need to tell the contractor? What are some of the things i should watch out for? Are there places that everyone wishes that they had power outlets installed? I was thinking for instance, a power source above the tank to plug the lights into so that the cords were all above the tank instead of below. I will try to post a picture with approximate dimensions of the fish room later if it will help.

Fish Room will include:
4 QT tanks (2 for fish, 1 for coral, 1 for inverts)
Saltwater mixing station
Live food cultures / phyto cultures
Fish grow out tank for breeding

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFCI outlets for everything in there for sure. I'd have at least two dedicated circuits or more with their own circuit breakers on the main circuit breaker box.

A electrician will know the codes needed.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your idea on plugs above the tank. IF your are going to be heavy into automation I would go with 3 dedicated circuits. I have worked on tanks like you want, make sure you have a door above the front of the tank for access, it's a PITA working from the rear only.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFCI outlets for everything in there for sure. I'd have at least two dedicated circuits or more with their own circuit breakers on the main circuit breaker box.

A electrician will know the codes needed.
I'm wondering if a 2nd box would be easier to hook a generator up to? I will def use the GFCI outlets for everything.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your idea on plugs above the tank. IF your are going to be heavy into automation I would go with 3 dedicated circuits. I have worked on tanks like you want, make sure you have a door above the front of the tank for access, it's a PITA working from the rear only.
Great idea. I wonder what the best way to make it aesthetically pleasing will be. I dont want it to look like an access panel.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that is a good option bumper box,4 circuits,yes all gfi,yes on ceiling :)
WP_20200611_22_22_00_Pro.jpg

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure one gfci per circuit, upstream so to speak is all you need.
Agree several 20 amp circuits. Drains to route rodi waste water and anything you don’t want in your sink (trident reagent). Vent fan and vent. Maybe air pipe outside for skimmer air.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the fish room build?
Thanks for checking in... yes and no... some unforseen life things came up. Building the house and the fish room were delayed... hoping to build 2022.... unfortunately but it happens... until then I've got a couple of wet projects going. Frag system build that should get a boost tomorrow.... finally getting stand into my shop for paint and finishing details.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back