Help mounting Blade to HMS with Exisiting Hydras

teebone110

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 11, 2011
Messages
18
Reaction score
32
Location
CANADA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the revised version with that added:


Looking for ideas to mount a 69” AI Blade to existing HMS setup

I’m trying to find a clean way to add a 69-inch AI Blade to my current lighting setup.

Right now I’m running an HMS rail with 6 Hydras mounted inside a canopy (see existing photo of my current setup). I’d like to mount the Blade strip in front of the Hydras for additional spread and fill.

One idea I had was building a couple extension arms using 2020 extruded aluminum that would extend forward from the HMS rail to support the Blade.

A few questions:

  • Will 2020 extruded aluminum connect cleanly to the HMS rail system?
  • Has anyone mounted a Blade to an HMS rail before inside a canopy?
  • Any better mounting ideas for adding a front Blade without redoing the whole setup?
  • Open to DIY or off-the-shelf solutions.
Appreciate any photos, ideas, or suggestions from anyone who’s done something similar.

IMG_5394.jpeg
 
Here’s the revised version with that added:


Looking for ideas to mount a 69” AI Blade to existing HMS setup

I’m trying to find a clean way to add a 69-inch AI Blade to my current lighting setup.

Right now I’m running an HMS rail with 6 Hydras mounted inside a canopy (see existing photo of my current setup). I’d like to mount the Blade strip in front of the Hydras for additional spread and fill.

One idea I had was building a couple extension arms using 2020 extruded aluminum that would extend forward from the HMS rail to support the Blade.

A few questions:

  • Will 2020 extruded aluminum connect cleanly to the HMS rail system?
  • Has anyone mounted a Blade to an HMS rail before inside a canopy?
  • Any better mounting ideas for adding a front Blade without redoing the whole setup?
  • Open to DIY or off-the-shelf solutions.
Appreciate any photos, ideas, or suggestions from anyone who’s done something similar.

IMG_5394.jpeg
You should have no problem adding extruded aluminum to your existing HMS. There are a lot of options for extruded aluminum which will help make it a clean look.

Here's a good site for the alumnium...

https://www.zyltech.com/aluminum-extrusion/
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new