HELP MY ANEMONE WENT MISSING

Jaws0508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently bought a bubble tip anemone for my 29 biocube. It settled on a rock but later I saw it almost all the way in the rock, so I move it again and it planted at the top. Its been in my tank for maybe 2 weeks but It moved again and now I cant find it. I checked everywhere including the filter in the back and the return pump, plus i looked everywhere on the rocks. Does anyone know where it could have gone? Thanks

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will hole up in rocks. Keep an eye on the tank. If you see little round bubbles of pretty color, it probably went through the powerhead and is gone. I had a babythat was lost for ages and came back and is now growing nicely. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

Jaws0508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will hole up in rocks. Keep an eye on the tank. If you see little round bubbles of pretty color, it probably went through the powerhead and is gone. I had a babythat was lost for ages and came back and is now growing nicely. Good luck!
Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not abnormal. Likely behind a rock, upside down orin a core of rock structure. Will come out eventually. They don't like bright lights which may have driven it away

OP
OP
J

Jaws0508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? What are your parameters? Anemones will move to a suitable place if they are healthy. If not they will hid as they are dying. I don’t recommend moving them unless really needed.
My tank is only two months, which I know is too early to add a anemone, but I got it for only 15 bucks. My tanks parameters are at 0 nitrates and 0 nitrites, PH is 8.2 ish, and my temp is at 78.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only two months, which I know is too early to add a anemone, but I got it for only 15 bucks. My tanks parameters are at 0 nitrates and 0 nitrites, PH is 8.2 ish, and my temp is at 78.
I hate to say it but that is likely $15 down the drain. Give your tank time to really get established usually 6 months or longer if you used dry rock. Anemones are not going to be happy in a tank with zero nitrates in my experience. Nitrates are a food source for them.

OP
OP
J

Jaws0508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it but that is likely $15 down the drain. Give your tank time to really get established usually 6 months or longer if you used dry rock. Anemones are not going to be happy in a tank with zero nitrates in my experience. Nitrates are a food source for them.
I fed the anemone brine shrimp, but I have live rock that had been in a establish tank for five years before moving to the biocube, so I think the tank is pretty well established. I checked the nitrates again just to make sure and it said around 10ish, but I don't know if that's enough.Thanks

cas_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an anemone yesterday and when I woke up today I found a lot of little anemone tentacles scattered over my tank. We believe that when the anemone was moving it got into the wave maker and it got shred. I can’t find the anemone so I think the same issue happened to me. I have a question: How much time did it last until you found your anemone again? Thanks because I’m very worried.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got an anemone yesterday and when I woke up today I found a lot of little anemone tentacles scattered over my tank. We believe that when the anemone was moving it got into the wave maker and it got shred. I can’t find the anemone so I think the same issue happened to me. I have a question: How much time did it last until you found your anemone again? Thanks because I’m very worried.
Its unfortunate and if a newer tank- Was not likely stressed from the onset. Generally they will move upwards when there is insufficient light and/or inadequate water flow.
Anemones are best in tanks that have been running 5-6 months where the tank and parameters are stable. They dont even like water changes.
Assure there is Fresh carbon in your system to reduce chance of any low level toxins.

cas_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its unfortunate and if a newer tank- Was not likely stressed from the onset. Generally they will move upwards when there is insufficient light and/or inadequate water flow.
Anemones are best in tanks that have been running 5-6 months where the tank and parameters are stable. They dont even like water changes.
Assure there is Fresh carbon in your system to reduce chance of any low level toxins.
My tank is 2 months old, but the water we put in was ocean water. There is carbon in my tanks filter. Maybe the issue was because I did a water change before putting it in. But is there a chance it is alive because I could not find it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back