Help My Cali Tort Recover

lostcause

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a dumb mistake when I started dosing. I added my does to one side which means that my powerhead pushed it across the top half of my tank. Which also means that my Cali Tort which is at the highest point in my tank got blasted with it. I use the BRS pouch/jug.
What can I do to help my coral recover? There is a vertical line and half of it is bleached and half of it it looks fine.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fully understanding the issue.. what were you dosing? I've never seen or heard of someone dosing directly to their tank and having it bleach a coral. But I guess that just depends on what was dosed, and how much?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think what you’re seeing is related to your dosing... it’s coincidental. I’ve dropped baking soda on to acros and nothing ever happened.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a dumb mistake when I started dosing. I added my does to one side which means that my powerhead pushed it across the top half of my tank. Which also means that my Cali Tort which is at the highest point in my tank got blasted with it. I use the BRS pouch/jug.
What can I do to help my coral recover? There is a vertical line and half of it is bleached and half of it it looks fine.
Twice a day when ALK dose it’s quite large amount due demand (mature sps/large colonies) in a small shallow tank inevitably it’s cast directly into my acro’s since water flow’s pointed at them never had a problem. If anything they react with reduced pe for a few minutes nothing else. I’ve never had this cause any problems or result in death for that matter, and if the precipit settles on a sps just small of white spot may result nothing more.

Unless there’s a possibility you dosed too much? Which could cause the AlK to spike that could cause a lose of tissue burnt tips /RTN observing the coral turning white rapidly. I think you mentioned some of still wasn’t white yet. Try to frag the good portion to salvage what you can while you can is going to be only solution.

Here’s a picture of a tort experiencing rtn from my RO failing. Is this what you’re seeing?
75CBDF7A-17FB-4E08-B9EA-199ACB5A214E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lostcause

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached a photo of what it looks like. It's the only affected frag in my tank. I had my all drop to 6 so I've been doing the max amount for the last week to keep it at 10. I split the dose up and wait about 15 minutes between. Should I be waiting longer?
20190729_114850.jpg

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably more of an issue from alk swings. I've had globs of kalkwasser land in my corals before with the slightest irritation, never any TN like that.

Just curious, what are you looking for in keeping the dKh at 10? Where do the rest of your params sit?
(nice shark nose btw)

OP
OP
L

lostcause

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of two days ago my parameters were Ca 435 Mg 1600 and KH 9.8. I'm using the red sea ideals for mixed reef Mg1350, Ca 350, KH 11.5

OP
OP
L

lostcause

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tyler Bullock My nitrate wasn't registering on my API kit. I dont have a phosphate kit yet so my LFS checked it for me. Said it was a little high but nothing an extra water change wouldn't fix.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had success with increasing my nitrates. I had an acro do this a few weeks ago and my nitrates were reading 0-1 on salifert kit. I increased mine to 3 over a few days and the receding had stopped.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back