HELP My chalace coral is dying!

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some fast advise on how to stop my Hollywood stunner chalice coral from continuing to die. I noticed over the weekend there was a hole in the middle of my coral and over the past few days it's gotten worse. I don't know if I should dip it or move it or leave it or what. Someone that has a good idea of what is happening and how to remedy the situation would be great. All parameters are in check phosphates are a little higher than normal at .10 I can tell that I am nearing the life of my fgo. So I'll be adding new gfo during my next water change. Otherwise all other parameters are normal.
Ph. 8.2
Temp 78.6
Sal- 35ppt
Ca 450
Mag 1350
Alk 9
No ammonia, nitrite, nitrate is about 15

20210518_121252.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need some fast advise on how to stop my Hollywood stunner chalice coral from continuing to die. I noticed over the weekend there was a hole in the middle of my coral and over the past few days it's gotten worse. I don't know if I should dip it or move it or leave it or what. Someone that has a good idea of what is happening and how to remedy the situation would be great. All parameters are in check phosphates are a little higher than normal at .10 I can tell that I am nearing the life of my fgo. So I'll be adding new gfo during my next water change. Otherwise all other parameters are normal.
Ph. 8.2
Temp 78.6
Sal- 35ppt
Ca 450
Mag 1350
Alk 9
No ammonia, nitrite, nitrate is about 15

20210518_121252.jpg
I don't want to recommend dips, etc, some people have been using antibiotics (amoxicillin etc) - you can search for this on the site. But your parameters look good. What kind of fish, etc do you have in the tank?

How long have you had the frag? any possible damage?

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to recommend dips, etc, some people have been using antibiotics (amoxicillin etc) - you can search for this on the site. But your parameters look good. What kind of fish, etc do you have in the tank?

How long have you had the frag? any possible damage?
So, I have had the frag since February. It is placed lower in the tank in low med light medium flow. The fish I have are 2 black storm clowns, File fish, bangeye cardnial, blue hippo tang (baby), powder blue (small), and a royal gramma. I have 3 fire shrimp, 2 small emerald crabs, a bunch of dwarf Hermits. I just got a decorator crab as a rehome from someone a little over a week ago. I will say that I have had to remove some soft corals like gsp, daisy polyps, pipe organ because my powder blue was picking at them. I put them in a different tank. I have not seen him picking at the chalice.

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add that up until the day that hole showed up the coral looked great. I haven't seen much new growth so I just chalked it up to a slow grower. Even today if you didn't see the hole you would think the coral looks great. I just don't know what to do at this point. I know that dipping can have negative effects to sick corals.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd add that up until the day that hole showed up the coral looked great. I haven't seen much new growth so I just chalked it up to a slow grower. Even today if you didn't see the hole you would think the coral looks great. I just don't know what to do at this point. I know that dipping can have negative effects to sick corals.
I'm sure others will weigh in. Based on the new information you added, I would think there was an injury. Its hard to tell from your picture - but to me it seems like there is also some tissue missing on the side as well? It looks similar to when I had an angel (newly put in the tank), who never went by the chalice coral when I was there. one day it slowly started to disintegrate. I couldn't figure it out. I watched - and sure enough - within 15 minutes or so - the fish was literally eating it out of the shell. Note - I have no idea whether its injured or infection. Hopefully some others will weigh in

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back