Help - my cleaner crew is dead

tstag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help I’ve just put 5 Turbo snails and two Cleaner shrine in my tank and I think they’ve all died within hours.

Although I’m new to reef tanks I believe I’ve cycled my tank correctly. I started with dry rock and live sand as I didn’t want to import any nasties. I have a seemingly happy Midas Blenny and for a while a few happy Zoas and Green star Polyps.

Anyway the corals started to close up so I looked at my levels and found that Nitrates were reading at zero.

I realised that using bio pellets in a reactor was stripping all the nitrates out so I switched it off. I thought that nitrates would then creep back up from zero and the corals would improve. Sure enough the corals started very gradually to look happier this week. Then disaster.

Algae was getting way out of control, it’s all over the rocks, I’ve got the hairy stuff and what looks like red Coraline algae starting in the sand and spreading to the rocks. So now I thought let’s send in the clean up crew.

In went 5 Turbo snails and two cleaner shrimps. Within a few hours all 5 snails dropped off the glass and the shrimps were dead. But why?

My levels all look enough to keep them happy I think:

Ammonia - maybe marginally above 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: 0.2
Salinity: 1.024

I’m planning to run carbon now in the reactor and will be switching it back on imminently so if Ammonia is slightly elevated (and I’m not convinced it is, I may have just been looking at the colours for too long) then that will bring it back down but I am just tying to get some nitrates in.

But what could be killing the snail and the shrimp? I’m at a total loss. To be clear I don’t think it can be copper contamination as I’ve not use anything that I know has it. Any ideas?

OP
OP
T

tstag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah got you. It’s about 3 months in.

How would I test for a stray voltage? The Blenny seems really happy so I have my doubts it’s that

OP
OP
T

tstag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To acclimatise them I put their bag in the water and tipped a little bit of aquarium water in every 5 mins for 30 mins

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a change in salinity? Inverts are much more sensitive to that. Could also be a pollutant or something.

OP
OP
T

tstag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a change in salinity? Inverts are much more sensitive to that. Could also be a pollutant or something.
Do you think it could be the fact I washed the filter socks with a capful of bleach. I put them in at a high temp and tried to wash it out over a couple of cycles. It’s really the only pollutant I can think got in. I feel like I’m clutching at straws with it....

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh ok I was thinking about this for a minute! yes it’s prob the chlorine from the capful of bleach I would imagine. Chlorine is invert killer and I’m sure traces of it will kill inverts but will leave fish well enough alone to live (used to clean the white dead coral skeletons in old school fish only tanks with chlorox and a rinse which is so crazy to me now). Only use hot water to clean the socks, some use like a power washer or a kitchen sink spray to help clean them. I would rinse them in RO water after the tap personally also, but my tap has chlorine in it.
For the tank I would run carbon and also poly-filter which will remove the chlorine and other nasties. I would also water change a hefty amount and get rid of the algae manually.

GL! Sucks but I’m sure you will get thru it, maybe test just one snail too when U ready :)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wash my socks with bleach. That is not it.
Salinity swing from acclimation or pollutant. How are the fish? Any other invert in the tank?
Wow really? Guess not so old school then. My bad.

OP
OP
T

tstag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other inverts are dead, but fish seems really happy. But he’s a Blenny so will put up with more.

OP
OP
T

tstag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wash my socks with bleach. That is not it.
Salinity swing from acclimation or pollutant. How are the fish? Any other invert in the tank?

unless it’s not standard bleach and had additives.
But I note it’s a thick bleach. So I’m still wondering about that. I’m desperate to avoid a 50% water change as my nitrates have been zero and I’m trying to get it up for the corals

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you switched of the bio pearls, did you then remove them from the tank? or just leave them stationary.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back