Help my Duncan!

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone I just noticed this on my Duncan to me it doesn't seem very good I would love to save him because he's my first and he looks awesome any help would be great! He's very health up top opens nicely and has good color just not sure what's happening to his base

image.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may just be the base skeleton from the original colony. They sort of extend their tissue over their skeleton to have a better hold on things and they wouldn't have necessarily had any covering that portion before the coral was cut. Generally, if the main polyp is open and looking good, the rest of the coral is fine. Just keep an eye on it :)

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly not sure what i'm looking at...? Parameters? How old is the system and how long have you had the duncan?
At the base in the picutre it's hard to see but it's like white and not the same color as the rest of him and I don't remember it being there before I've had him for about a month the tank is a couple months old I can't Denver exctaly how many I would have to look

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may just be the base skeleton from the original colony. They sort of extend their tissue over their skeleton to have a better hold on things and they wouldn't have necessarily had any covering that portion before the coral was cut. Generally, if the main polyp is open and looking good, the rest of the coral is fine. Just keep an eye on it :)
It's just one polyp and I don't remember it there before so should I just let him go? And like you said watch him he has great color and opens of wide for my light

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just one polyp and I don't remember it there before so should I just let him go? And like you said watch him he has great color and opens of wide for my light
I think it will be okay, Duncans are pretty hardy corals and if the main polyp is happy, the rest of the coral will be too.

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be okay, Duncans are pretty hardy corals and if the main polyp is happy, the rest of the coral will be too.
Do you think I should feed him a little more then before? To make sure he has the nutrients to heal? I usally feed reef riods and brine shrimp

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back