Help my little brain (pics)

Dave12678

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I was at my LFS today and had my eye on this little brain coral that wasn't looking to great. I talked to the owner who said is fell between the rocks and was cover in algae. I got the brain for 10$ and couldn't pass up on it. Here is what it looks like.
IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on what I need to do to get it looking good again. He still has a lot of tissue left so that's one good sign. I have him at the bottom under the rock where the flow isn't that strong, not weak but not strong. Should I try to feed it? What should I do? My water is in great and stable condition ca is 460, alk 9, PH 8.3. sg 1.025, only thing I am having problems with is nitrates 15 but dropping slowly. My tank has been setup where I have had it for almost a year now. Lighting is 150w MH 2 65w antinics, what do you guys think?

OP
OP
D

Dave12678

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know but I had to try for 10 bucks it will give me something to do :)

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just find a spot on the sand bed for it and try feeding (not too much, though). I got one that looked similar from an LFS and it did great for several months, then started to decline. Maybe give it a little shade, too. They seem to get puffier when they look for light (don't make it dark, though). That one looks a little bleached, too (can do that from lack of light, as well as too much light). Good luck with it.

OP
OP
D

Dave12678

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did poof up this morning, I still haven't seen the tentacles come out yet but the tissue was little more poofed up. When I feed the tank tonight I hope I see some tentacles. :) I will keep pics with the decline/progress. thanks guys.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad sign. Just be careful with how much you feed him. I read something somewhere about over eating and metabolism issues. I want to say it was in a Coral magazine, but not positive on that. they'll probably try to eat (or act like they are hungry, anyway) all the time...

OP
OP
D

Dave12678

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update the little guy eats when ever I feed him and is getting some color.
IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back