Help! My poor BTA :(

StephA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this little guy for over a month and he’s just so so sad.
I’m not sure if he’s dying or just upset.
My local fish store does my water testing - if it’s recommended to test my water is there something I should test for?

I also have a condy anemone doing really well.

I’m a newbie and just learning :D

Here’s a few pics
8E34EDDF-7AA2-45DC-94BB-9A2343314778.jpeg

F645C1F6-9CB3-4885-9FFD-C6B0C69A85AB.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kits are extremely important if you want to keep corals and anemones, there is no way of knowing whats going on in your water without the testing. Test kit is your best friend in this hobby.

I dont have experience with BTA's, so hopefully this will bump your post and get you more help.

OP
OP
StephA

StephA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kits are extremely important if you want to keep corals and anemones, there is no way of knowing whats going on in your water without the testing. Test kit is your best friend in this hobby.

I dont have experience with BTA's, so hopefully this will bump your post and get you more help.
Thanks!
Yes, will have to look into getting some!
Any tips for which ones to get?

sorry, literally reeeaaaally new to this

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too many questions before we can start helping. Do you know your tank parameters and what your LFS tests with? Are you topping off tank water with RODI water? What are you using for flow and lighting? What size tank is this in? etc.

some good test kits are hanna checkers, salifert, and red sea pro. Hanna are easy for harder to read stuff like PO4 or NO3, while i find salifert or red sea fine for things like calcium, mag, alk, etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is not a Bubble tip but rather a carribean /Florida condylactus anemone. It looks unhappy likely due to bright lights and possible elevated nitrates.
Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Water hardness: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Specific gravity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
  • Phosphate < .04 - .06
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new Bubble Tip Anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Bubble Tip Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists soon find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These anemones enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back