HELP MY TANG

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been doing blackouts for 3 weeks now and my baby/juvenile blue tang and it is starting to be problem since it is top half violet and stays in a small fake rock it would be fine but since it is still happening i need to get it out since i do not want it to loose its slime coat and get very ill please PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO do to get it destressed faster
this is what it sort of looks like can't find the exact thing and i have currently a black towel over the lid so no light gets it i also do not have coral
1711004707486.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue you are having is not clear.

Remove the fake rocks and find the fish.

Why 3 week blackout? That's too long. I assume you have live rock in this tank somewhere?

OP
OP
seawee

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue you are having is not clear.

Remove the fake rocks and find the fish.

Why 3 week blackout? That's too long. I assume you have live rock in this tank somewhere?
yes i do have live rock the problem is the tang in wedging itself in it can get out but i do not want to touch it since its venom even though not deadly i still do not want to try getting stung and it will stress it out even more if i try getting it out

OP
OP
seawee

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do have some fake items but i try to swap them out and i use these fake rocks because it has a hollow inside and acts like a den and that is the only thing my fish like to use to hide i try to make dens with live rock but they just do not use them

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do have some fake items but i try to swap them out and i use these fake rocks because it has a hollow inside and acts like a den and that is the only thing my fish like to use to hide i try to make dens with live rock but they just do not use them
Okay blue hippos wedge in rocks and cracks to sleep and hide. Is this what its doing or is it stuck?

OP
OP
seawee

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay blue hippos wedge in rocks and cracks to sleep and hide. Is this what its doing or is it stuck?
it is not stuck it is just that this is my first time owning a blue tang so it is not stuck in it it can get out just that its been in there for 3 weeks it is still alive luckily i just want to help it so it does not loose its slime coat and get sick

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I think you dropped this > .

Tang is probably pretty stressed out. What is calling for a 3 week blackout? Bring the light back, maybe slowly/dimly at first, tang hopefully should relax. If you just got it and then did this black out that is double stress on the fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is not stuck it is just that this is my first time owning a blue tang so it is not stuck in it it can get out just that its been in there for 3 weeks it is still alive luckily i just want to help it so it does not loose its slime coat and get sick
Its super stressed by the sounds of it. Check your water for elevated nutrients/ammonia, stop with the blackouts and target feed it and let it do its thing. Theres some reason its stressed, but dont go moving rocks and making it come out, that will scare it. What else is in the tank with it?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been in this rock for 3 weeks? Why are you blacking out the tank? What are your water parameters? Hiding will not cause the fish to loose its slime coat. If its constantly pitch black the tang will not come out its night time for three weeks....what do you live in Alaska or the Netherlands? I dont know of tropical areas in those places the fish is not used to it being the darkest of night for that long. The fish will use what you give them for shelter, take out the junk. Supply them with natural caves and crevices they will use them at the appropriate times.

OP
OP
seawee

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is ok turns out it was the black out when i turned back on the light 2 days ago it slowly came out
it now is swimming freely with my chocolate goby but is still a bit scared of me since if i just walk around it will hide but it chose the cove/den i made with rock and i am doing the water parameters today since the week before i was on holidays and my dad was caring for them so i don't know the current readings
this is the current fish tank yesterday i was able to move it into the larger one
1711313469134.jpeg

and this is what it was in before
1711313665851.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
seawee

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will tell you all the parameters once i have done them and that is around 1pm
and the den/cove was for my pajama cardinal but he never used it so now my blue hippo tang does and my goby

FilthyFifty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, at least you figured out his reason for hiding now would I would recommend is feeding heavily so he gets some nutrients back and is less scared of swimming in the open. Hope this works out.

OP
OP
seawee

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been feeding some seaweed lately and it has a 8.0 for ph 0ppm nitrite 0.25ppm ammonia and 80ppm nitrate
i am currently now doing the water changes and lowering the ph and nitrate

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did not know but my acclimater i use for ph also does nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia as well.
this is what i use
1711489396250.png
acclimator? What are you using Prime for?

You havent answered half the questions asked.
What was the blackout for?
Why do you think you need to lower the ph?
I am glad the Tang is out and about at least.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back