HELP my tanks is dying

rich850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are still large water changes that would cause a lot of swings in parameters in my tank I have a 150 gallon display with a 55 gallon sump and usually change 10 gallons at the most of course I like to keep my alk around 8.5 and my salt mix is higher so I do small water changes I have found this to be more effective over the years of trial and error

rich850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk at 9 but you are using reef crystals doing 40 to 80 gallon water changes have you tested alk before and after these large water changes?

OP
OP
J

jelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't test before the water change.. but I am now doing it everyday so I can my ca reactor in line

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.07 is nothing if we are supposed to keep them around .05 or less. Shouldn't be a problem keeping them there.

rich850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just saying if you have substantial algae growth it is absorbing a lot of the phosphates already if you were to get something to eat the algae you would see an even bigger spike but I would guess there is something else going on here and I would imagine alkalinity swings with such large water changes

OP
OP
J

jelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't to a water change until I seen my corals where brown.. and my alk didn't swing like some think it may have.. my tanks is normaly very stable and this browning out have me and others stumped. even my buddy beefy who knows my tank don't know what happen.

Wrenchedup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I feel for ya man I had the saw problem about a year ago all my coraline turned brown the sand and rock to and then my Sps started to melt away literally over night I never found out the exact cause but I narrowed it down to 3 things
1 I was feeding frozen every day(phosphate was out of control)
2 put an 8 bulb tek t5 from a 4 bulb
3 I was dosing without testing and my alk spiked to 11.2 from 8.2
So after I added Gfo and a biopellet reactor, it took a month but the cyano started to dissipate and my corals were happy again and also doing water changes only makes it worse cause the parameters keep changing, and also I was able to save 3 out of 30 Sps species by fragging the tips that weren't melted and today they are massive

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back