Help Nailing Down Flow

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!
I'm looking for a little advice on upgrading and improving the flow pattern in my tank.

Requirements:
  • Must be compatible with GHL Profilux 4
  • Must meet the needs of my current 3 foot tank, but also be compatible with an eventual upgrade to a 4 foot tank
  • Not Ecotech - I have a little heartburn with their customer service over an issue with a Radion light I sent in for service, I would prefer to use another vendor

Current Situation:
I have 5 pumps from 4 different vendors. I currently have an eheim return (I think it's a model 1102 but the sticker is very worn down and I didn't buy it), 1 Ecotech MP10, 1 Icecap 1K gyre, and 2 Sicce nanos (525 GPH). I would like to start moving my gear towards one cohesive ecosystem that also provides for expansion in the future. Most of my gear now was either stuff that came with the tank, or cobbled together from purchases here.

Current Flow Setup:
The Icecap 1K is on the upper left side of the tank, directly opposed to the MP10. The Sicce nanos are on the back wall, one in each corner facing the sand bed. The intent of the nano pumps was to eliminate dead spots and kick up some detritus on the sand.

In the image below the pumps are:
  • 1 Icecap 1K
  • 2 Sicce nano (this has been lowered 6 inches)
  • 3 Sicce nano (this has been lowered 6 inches)
  • 4 MP10, not pictured, but centered on glass across from Icecap, it has been moved since this photo was taken
PXL_20230213_130157560~2.jpg

Reasons for Change:
  • I "dust" my sand and rock work every morning. Detritus and sediment settles on them over night. To me, this indicates the flow isn't powerful enough to keep it suspended in the water column and eventually moved to the skimmer.
  • I would like for my gear to be cohesive and I'd like to pair down some of the manufacturers
  • I have poor polyp extension on my SPS corals, it could be partially due to them still settling in, but I think flow is part of it.
Options I Have Considered:
  • 1 Large gyre pump located on the left or right
  • 2 Tunze 6095s, one on each side set to random
  • 2 AI Nero 5s, one on each side set to random

Questions:
  • What would you recommend for this tank?
  • What other brands and models should I be considering?
  • Are the Sicce nanos doing anything of value?
  • Should I be looking at a new return pump as well?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back