HELP NEEDED BY APEX USERS

mrsalnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats up guys I'm new to the saltwater hobby, I am confused about the apex system and its functions. I know right now that they have apex ready equipment but I'm confused on the function of the apex.
I am currently looking to buy the classic and I'm still building my reef tank, I will post my build down below once done. I currently of the current usa dc pump, i still need lighting, protein skimmer and wave maker, I am also looking to add the neptune ato. If i don't buy Apex Ready equipment can i still use the apex to control the on and off function of the equipment that is not apex ready. As i know there is no protein skimmers or heaters that are apex ready, So please help and advice is much appreciated.

Here is my link to my build

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/40-gallon-breeder-build-my-first-build.318957/#post-4044271

Dhoggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the saltwater side!!

Yes, you can manually or automate control the on/off function on any equipments plugged in to apex.

OP
OP
mrsalnj

mrsalnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the saltwater side!!

Yes, you can manually or automate control the on/off function on any equipments plugged in to apex.

now when they have equipment such as lighting or dc pump that is apex ready what does that exactly mean?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now when they have equipment such as lighting or dc pump that is apex ready what does that exactly mean?
It means that the equipment can directly interface with the apex beyond just the normal on/off of the power outlet. For example the lighting program could be controlled directly by the apex within the apex GUI. Radions for example can connect to the WXM module and you can go into the apexfusion interface/GUI to set the lighting profile, channels, etc.

OP
OP
mrsalnj

mrsalnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means that the equipment can directly interface with the apex beyond just the normal on/off of the power outlet. For example the lighting program could be controlled directly by the apex within the apex GUI. Radions for example can connect to the WXM module and you can go into the apexfusion interface/GUI to set the lighting profile, channels, etc.

ok so you can go into the fusion and say you want more blue in your lighting you can control it directly through the apex, I'm just trying to understand this clearly before i spend the money. But say i want my fuge light to go on at 8pm just say i can do that with out it being apex ready and so on? And also my dc pump is not apex ready but can i put it in feed mode by shutting it off from the app or control the flow of the pump?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so you can go into the fusion and say you want more blue in your lighting you can control it directly through the apex, I'm just trying to understand this clearly before i spend the money. But say i want my fuge light to go on at 8pm just say i can do that with out it being apex ready and so on? And also my dc pump is not apex ready but can i put it in feed mode by shutting it off from the app or control the flow of the pump?
Yes you would instead do that by the outlet. For example, one of my frag tanks has SB Reef Light over it. It has blues on an outlet/power cord and whites on an outlet/power cord. I control the intensity manually with the knob, though I just leave it the same the whole time it's on.

Then I simply tell the outlet what time to turn on and what time to turn off. Example:

Capture.JPG

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could only do on/off with your DC pump through the apex.

OP
OP
mrsalnj

mrsalnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the help now i have an idea on how it works, it seems pretty cool, now just deciding between the apex classic or the apex 2016 model lol never thought this hobby could be exhausting when getting started.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the help now i have an idea on how it works, it seems pretty cool, now just deciding between the apex classic or the apex 2016 model lol never thought this hobby could be exhausting when getting started.
I would strongly urge the 2016 apex. There are new things starting to come out that are not compatible with the classic.

10Seconds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am somewhat new and had a ton of questions. So I just jumped in and bought a used Apex classic and set it up last weekend. Love it. Once you start messing with it you can figure a lot out too. The only thing that is projected out that you cant do on the classic is the Trident, which will be $600+ anyway. I figured this is a decent way to start and see if I like it. Would definitely recommend. Even without all the bells and whistles yet, I dont have various timers, and my temp and salinity are perfectly steady now and I know this from my phone.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my radions controlled by apex 2016 model, I can adjust each individual channel, intensity, duration, spectrum. I have my algae scrubber lights on the apex powerbar and control on/off. For powerheads Not APEX ready you would plug into an outlet and program if FeedA on then off. I would recommend the 2016 if your budget allows. Also you will only have 8 outlets so if you need to plug in more you will need to buy another energy bar.

showey472

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a classic apex system and I find the system is very adaptable to what you want to do. From a simple on off timer to a complex set of schedules and logic switches. So in this way it can grow with you as you learn more about the hobby.

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, this is one of the primary purposes of the 8 outlet bar. You can program things to turn on and off at specific times, such as just a plain old BRS Doser. Or you can program in Feed programs. My Feed A program turns off my main return pump and skimmer for 10 minutes. The skimmer comes back on after 12 minutes. I also have my BRS Doser kick on for 2 minutes every afternoon. You will also want to plug your Heater in, to turn On and Off according to your temp probe readings you set. Hope this helps...

Ron83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is gold to me. This program turns off the skimmer anytime the main pump is off. In this diagram the main pump "Pump2_3_4" is in line 5. Line 6 is a 5 minute delay giving the sump time to return to normal levels before turning the skimmer back on. Go to www.youtube.com and search for Apex programming. Huge help.

ApexSkimmerprog.PNG

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 48 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back