Help Needed: Identifying and Treating White Buildup on Clownfish Lip

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fellow hobbyists!

I've had this pair of long-fin clownfish for almost 8 months now. Recently, I noticed a small white buildup on the lower lip of one of my clowns. Can anyone guide me on what it is and how to treat it?

It's not affecting the fish's diet as it's eating normally. I am attaching a few pictures for reference.
Screenshot_20240216_151815_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240216_151803_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240216_151723_Gallery.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fellow hobbyists!

I've had this pair of long-fin clownfish for almost 8 months now. Recently, I noticed a small white buildup on the lower lip of one of my clowns. Can anyone guide me on what it is and how to treat it?

It's not affecting the fish's diet as it's eating normally. I am attaching a few pictures for reference.
Screenshot_20240216_151815_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240216_151803_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240216_151723_Gallery.jpg

Clownfish often grapple one another by the mouth and that causes damage like this. You will likely never see it happen because while you are watching your fish, they stop fighting and watch you back!

If it gets infected, the fish will stop eating, but otherwise, as long as it is eating well, I would not treat it.

Jay

OP
OP
NemoEnthusiast

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish often grapple one another by the mouth and that causes damage like this. You will likely never see it happen because while you are watching your fish, they stop fighting and watch you back!

If it gets infected, the fish will stop eating, but otherwise, as long as it is eating well, I would not treat it.

Jay
Thanks a lot Jay,

If it stops eating at some point, what treatment would you recommend? So that I can keep it in hand just in case if I need it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot Jay,

If it stops eating at some point, what treatment would you recommend? So that I can keep it in hand just in case if I need it.
A broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Neoplex or kanaplex - but those need to be dosed in a treatment tank, that’s why I didn’t suggest going that route unless the symptoms worsen.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks a lot for always being such a supportive member
I see you are in middle East. You will likely not have access to seachem products but can use Waterlife Myxazin or tri-sulfa

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong because I very well may be... Back when long fin clowns hit the market, I thought I remember having a conversation with a couple different stores about how breeding for long fins led to a side effect of the lower jaw growing out like this. They said you had to pull them out and "clip" it off every once in a while.

OP
OP
NemoEnthusiast

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong because I very well may be... Back when long fin clowns hit the market, I thought I remember having a conversation with a couple different stores about how breeding for long fins led to a side effect of the lower jaw growing out like this. They said you had to pull them out and "clip" it off every once in a while.
Is it really true? .... how to clip it?..... I never read/heard of any such thing

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it really true? .... how to clip it?..... I never read/heard of any such thing
At times, its can be genetic but often happens with fighting, spawning, pairing and even cleaning surfaces

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will keep a close eye on it. I hope it will get better, just in case it gets worse, I will reach out again.... thanks a lot for your guidance
If it gets worse, treat in separate tank with seachem neoplex or kanaplex

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back