Help needed in calculating dosing sodium bisulfate to lower Alk in mixing station….

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I thank you in advance for helping me out here. I did search and found some answers. I’m challenged though. I recently lost most of my useable vision so math and measuring is difficult. Here’s where I’m at in needing help. I recently switched from TM Pro to IO and would like to lower the Alk in my mixing station. Using measuring cups or spoons is out for me at the moment, I’m learning all over again to use them without seeing plus I have tremors so more ends up out of the cup/spoon than in. I have a talking scale and a large bin that I can zero out and not spill when measuring. I have an 80 gallon mixing station. The mixing station Alk tests at 10.2(ish) when mixed to 1.025. I would prefer it to be around 7.5-8.5 dkh. That said, if there is a gram per gallon per dkh calculation that someone could share, I would appreciate it. I know there is a max solubility as well, so I would need to know that so that I know how much water I would need to make a solution as I believe I read to dissolve in water before adding to saltwater. This will help me with dosing and figuring out how much to order. Thanks again fellow reefers, I know it’s been asked. The only thing I found was 1/4 teaspoon per gallon for a .68-.72 decrease in dkh, and that is too complicated to figure in my head full of rocks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read that before but got lost in the teaspoon measurements from others. I listened to it again, and I’m guessing that was for the Seachem Buffer? I got the 1.2g to 10oz equates to a 2.8dkh drop in your original statement and will follow that as it’s easy enough to figure. Thanks again. I have a real disconnect from listening to things as opposed to reading them. Hopefully that fades away, it makes everything difficult

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome.

Yes, stick to the mass measurement, and adjust it as needed.
So I’m running into a little snag here. My alkalinity is not dropping as expected. I have a 80 gallon mixing station that only adds 75 gallons as it automatically fills when there’s 5 gallons left. I add IO salt to a salinity of 1.026 (verified with a Milwaukee and a refractometer), 390ca, 1300mg and 11.2dkh. I want to lower the Alk to between 7.5-8.5dkh. Using your formula, that I probably messed up, I came up with 80 gallons = 302.833 liters
1.2 grams of sodium bisulfate to 10 liters = a drop of 2.8 dkh
302.833 liters/10 = 30.2833
30.2833 x 1.2 = 36.34
36.34 grams of sodium bisulfate to lower dkh by 2.8 (11.2-2.8 = 8.4) in 80 gallons of freshly mixed saltwater.
I ended up adding 36.5 grams of sodium bisulfate (triple checked, not sulfite) and my Alk immediately dropped to 9.2dkh. I let it continue mixing for another 30 minutes and retested it 11.2dkh. I used a Hanna and a Salifert test kit, and both show the same results +/- .25 dkh from each other. I retested the salinity thinking I accidentally added too much salt, but it’s still on target at 1.026, and ca is still 390. I didn’t retest mag. Where am I messing up here? The only thing I’m thinking is that I’m not aerating it enough. Anyway, any help is appreciated. Thanks again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing the bisulfate addition lowers pH enough to dissolve some calcium carbonate present in the mixing barrel, either from this batch or previous batches.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing the bisulfate addition lowers pH enough to dissolve some calcium carbonate present in the mixing barrel, either from this batch or previous batches.
Thank you for that, I had read that on another one of your responses. This is only the third batch since cleaning my mixing tank. It’s white and my vision is worthless so I can’t see. I have a plastic pole with a scraper that I can reach the bottom with and stir…I don’t feel or hear any crud. I’ll test again and add small amounts to bring it down. I mixed the sodium bisulfate in a 500ml bottle full of rodi and shook it to dissolve before dumping it in the mixing tank.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Losing your vision sucks! So…….I think I accidentally mixed the sodium bisulfate with 500ml of saltwater instead of rodi. Could this have been my issue? I have added another 36 grams of sodium bisulfate in rodi, checked myself before I wrecked myself this time, and it has lowered the Alk from 11.2 to 9.0. That’s much better. I’ll double check with another test and adjust it down a little lower. Thanks for your help as always.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back