Help needed.

Javy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a warm welcome into the hobby. And got death and destruction very quickly. So here's what happened. It all started with a change in rockscape. I replaced my old rocks. Bought new live rock from my local fish store. Never cured them, because I simply thought it would be fine. Turns out it was a super bad idea, and completely stressed my whole tank. I had 2 clowns and a Valentinie Puffer. I noticed they were kind skiddish for a bit but didn't take to big of a change to anything. Everyone was eating and everyone kinda calmed down later that day. Woke up the next morning, seen that both of my clowns had what seemed to be sand all over them. I figured it was sand. Because I did a rock change and water change the day before. Went to work to come home and find one of my clowns dead... complete shock to me. Tested my water and of course the Amonia was a little high, but not too too bad. So I did another small water change and cleaned the tank a little. But noticed my other clown still had sand on him and kept swimming into the wave maker. I couldn't figure out why the sand wasn't falling off. But took no further thought into it. Next morning my second clown dies out of no where. At this time I was doing alot of research, and everyone kept pointing their hands at the rock. The rock had die off that just harmed the fish. I took this and thought it was correct. So I did daily water changes. And just waiting for my tank to now "recycle" which it did. And now everything is testing good. Got home today 2 weeks later. And I now find "sand" all over my puffer fish and his eyes. Finally looked it up. And I believe it to be Marine Velvet. The only thing is. I have to treat it in a QT. And I don't have another tank I can use untill Thursday which is my next day off. I'm afraid I'm going to lose the last of my fish. And here is where the question forms. Is it possible that he can stay strong for a couple days ? If so how do I help em? Secondly, if the last remaining fish dies, how long do i wait for my tank to become disease free again? I still have snails, and a couple blue legged hermit crabs. Also coral in my tank which all are growing fantastic. Coral list: Xenia, Galaxia, Devils Hand, And Monti.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that adding the new rock stressed your fish, which in turn weakened their immune systems to where they showed evidence of disease infection. While I'm not a disease expert, if you're dealing with ich or velvet, you are going to need to treat that fish in a quarantine tank (and probably pretty darn quickly). I'd get a bucket, a powerhead, a heater and post pics of your fish in the disease forum ASAP. Here's one link that might be helpful https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like velvet. Doubtful for survival until Thursday. Your last fish need immediate intervention. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

Freshwater dip at the least and transfer to new qt. Head to Wal-Mart and get a tank, or bucket or plastic tote, if necessary.

If you lose him I would wait 76 days before adding any fish. Guidelines are 6 weeks for velvet and 76 for ich. Since the new rock is an unknown I would wait the 76 days

OP
OP
J

Javy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to take out all my snails and crabs as well ? And what about my corals ? Are they safe staying in the tank ?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to take out all my snails and crabs as well ? And what about my corals ? Are they safe staying in the tank ?
Only fish need to be removed. Everything else should stay put during the fallow period (76 days). The inverts and corals could carry a disease, because ich or velvet can encyst on any hard surface, but they are not infected by these diseases. The fallow period allows anything encysted to hatch and find no food source (a fish) to continue its life cycle.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back