Help! Nem stucked in HOB

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my nem was moving earlier. Ran an errand and came back 20 min later and she had moved completely to the other side of the tank and got sucked up into the filter Some of her tentacles were really wrapped up in the tube slots of my HOB. I've managed to delicately get the tentacles out (may have lost a few) but please tell me she has a chance?! I know if she dies, she releases a toxin that can crash my tank so should I move her out completely or does she look like she will survive? I'm seriously about to cry over it. What can I do? I isolated her in a plexi housing for now so she can't move again. Thanks for the help.

Here are a few pics. One with white light and one with blue.

20231102_001655.jpg 20231102_001623.jpg

Shawn H!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I would give it some time to open up. It is probably a little angry right now. My BTA would close up like that when a crab would get on it.
I have only had a Nem for a couple months so I am learning myself.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks fine ,couple of tentacles lost no prob,long as no damage to foot, gets any worse come back here...:)

OP
OP
AlohaJacklyn

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is good or not but she swelled up and fell over. I can still see her trying to move so im crossing fingers she will be fine. Is there anything I can do to help? Or just give it time? I'm in hawaii so i no longer have access to replace any nems/corals, so I cherish what I have.

What would make her suddenly unlatch from her favorite corner (where the other nems are) and go wonder off like that? The lights cover the entire tank and she has low/moderate air flow. I know they do what they want but she really went on a long hike today. Just curious is they do that when in search of something or if she just likes irritating me. Lol

Also, I've noticed my orange and green nems take turns staying fully open. If my orange BTA is fully open, my green is fully closed and vice versa. Any reason?

20231102_003607.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just give it time, running fresh carbon may help with different varieties in same tank

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is good or not but she swelled up and fell over. I can still see her trying to move so im crossing fingers she will be fine. Is there anything I can do to help? Or just give it time? I'm in hawaii so i no longer have access to replace any nems/corals, so I cherish what I have.

What would make her suddenly unlatch from her favorite corner (where the other nems are) and go wonder off like that? The lights cover the entire tank and she has low/moderate air flow. I know they do what they want but she really went on a long hike today. Just curious is they do that when in search of something or if she just likes irritating me. Lol

Also, I've noticed my orange and green nems take turns staying fully open. If my orange BTA is fully open, my green is fully closed and vice versa. Any reason?

20231102_003607.jpg
Not sure if this is the same nem as the first pic, but this is not a BTA. It's probably an LTA and you need a sandbed for it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back