Help. Never treated for ICH before

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure my tank has ICH. My Kole tang has visible specks and my square Anthia has a few as well.. I’ve never treated for ICH before so where do I start? I don’t have another tank big enough to house all the fish for QT so I’ll probably have to buy one. What else should will I need for this? Thank you

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve read it so I get the difference between eradication and management. I’d go the eradication way as I don’t plan on doing this again lol but as far as equipment goes, what will I need? Chemical wise. What will I need?

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the quarantine article but didn’t notice if he said anything about cycling a QT... obviously I need mine sooner then later so I can’t wait for it to cycle and I can’t use the DT tank water since the tank has ICH.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some Dr. Tims or Bio Spira. In a large bowl/small bucket, soak the HOB foam filter and if you have one a the foam from a bubbler filter and some Biomax (Fluval) or similar in the Dr. Tims/Bio Spira overnight if you can. If not at least a couple of hours. Add fresh saltwater if needed to completely cover the filter material. Fill your tank with fresh saltwater. Turn on your heater. Take your "soaked" filter material and install in tank. Pour remaining Dr. Tims/BioSpira from the bowl/bucket into the new QT tank. As soon as the QT tank is up to temp and matched salinity. You can move fish. Very important to use a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge as the copper will make normal ammonia testing useless. Mount the badge around deep on the tank wall away from the tank lights as they can interfere with the accuracy of the badge. Use a flashlight to illuminate the badge from the rear when reading the ammonia levels. Be prepared for water changes.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so BioSpira... soak foam in that along with some fresh saltwater.. I have those marinepure biospheres.. could I use those in the filter? Also, should I make the salinity lower then the DT to help fight the ICH? Or match it to the DT?

What chemicals should I buy for treatment? Coppersafe as stated before? Or something else? I’m gonna attach a picture when the lights come on to confirm that it is ICH but I’m almost positive it is. I’m gonna attempt to pick up everything I need for the QT tank tomorrow after confirmation.

If I don’t get around to getting a tank setup tomorrow due to my work schedule, what’s my timeframe before these fish start dying? I don’t wanna lose any of them obviously but I’m just curious.

As far as inverts/Corals, they’ll be fine in the tank going fallow right? Anything I need to do to the DT other than running it fallow for 76 days?

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beat pic I could get of my Kole tang... I’m gonna say it’s definitely ICH
51e58e82541ebac6ea2eb894cad27704.jpg
he’s not acting weird or anything tho. No scratching or anything like that.. but man he is covered in white specks [emoji20]

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that sure looks like a good case of Ich. Poor fish.
MarinePure plates, blocks, spheres are designed to be placed in low flow areas. Your HOB would be a high flow area. That's why I use Fluval BioMax or Humblefish uses Seachem Matrix in the HOB. We're both experimenting with these media to see if they absorb copper in any measurable amount. So far not.
And the BioMax or Matrix is a little tougher product; MarinePure is so fragile it's best used in a low flow area.
I use Coppersafe and the API Copper Test Kit. Works well.
Your corals and inverts will be fine. Just feed them a bit every now and then.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I have a problem... no stores open around me today so I can’t go buy a QT tank [emoji53] and with my work schedule coming up I don’t know when I’ll be able to... ughhh I don’t wanna lose these fish

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way.. if I can find a tote to use, I don’t have ANY chemicals to treat or a HOB or BioSpira... this storm couldnt have come at a worse time

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back