Hello & Welcome
IMG_8593.jpeg

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome!

Going forward, I’d suggest double thinking the “buy it all in one pack!” Purchases. The bundle you’ve got so far actually sounds pretty good, but there’s a LOT to be said about getting familiar with your own system, knowing its needs, and then buying the specific gear you want to run based off that.

On the topic of live rock, that’s sorta a misnomer by modern standards, people will call stuff live rock even if it’s totally dry, so there’s live rock that’s actually live, and then there’s “live rock” that’s simply dry rock of the TYPE you’d expect for a reef. Brands like LiverockNreef, arc, KP aquatics, gulf live rock, and Tampa bay saltwater are all options for the former type, Marco rock, Caribsea, etc are options for the latter.

The benefit of the latter is that you’re not worried about killing the preexisting bacteria by letting it dry out (since there’s none to begin with) so I’d suggest ordering about double the amount of dry rock you actually need, building structures using superglue (check out the BRS NSA tutorials!) on YouTube, and then perhaps order a few small chunks of true live rock to help with biodiversity and less risk of an ugly stage maybe?

I’d get a pink streak or a possum instead of a six line. Heard bad things about them bullying others.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO is more important than a dosing pump IMO. Hand dosing and testing should be plenty sufficient on a new tank. This will also give a new reefer an opportunity to learn what is being dosed and get a feel for how things work without over complicating things. The automated stuff is really cool but can make a simple concept a bit more challenging to understand.

Also small mistakes can cause huge problems when it comes to automated dosers. I was recently reading on a thread of another reefer where he accidently set his doser to "on" rather than "run program" and this led to his dosing pump running all night, adding 1 liter of alk solution to his tank in just 7 hrs. These types of mistakes can happen too easily when things are too complicated too fast. Take it slow and add equipment only as needed.
Agreed. Not needed for new tank set up. Just sharing things to consider going forward.

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! New to all of this , hubby always wanted a saltwater tank so I have been researching like crazy! I know literally nothing. So I am surprising him with a setup/ build.

So I have on the way a waterbox marine 60.2 plus complete so it will come with

• Prime 16HD Reef
  • Prime Flex Arm 12"
  • Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer
  • SYNCRA Silent 3.0
  • Mesh Lid System
  • Nero 5
  • XP Aqua Duetto2
  • SCUBA ContactLess Submersible Heater 200 Watts
  • RO/DI (4 Stage 100GPD)
  • Refractometer
  • Magnetic Glass Cleaner (Medium)
  • REEF SALT 160G
The substrate I’m looking at natures ocean bio-activ live Argonite looking at doing 40-50 lbs?

And live rock looking 20-40lbs?

Looking at live only rock and sand.

What other supplies as far as testing equipment will I need?

We want to feed live food, looking at adding soft corals , clown, blemmies, six line wrasse, yellow clown goby, a watchman and pistol shrimp and possibly others but that’s my list for now

Any help much needed!
Welcome and Happy Reefing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back