HELP: Not your normal Trident ALK is off issue

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All -

I am having a Trident issue that I currently have a ticket on, but it seems to not be familiar to Apex. So, I am looking to the community to see if anyone else has experienced this....
I do understand about the Trident out of range, so, I do understand why I am getting this error. However, I would expect ALL test readings to shift. I have tried multiple re-cals and Reagent A lot samples to find the issue. I have also, flushed, cleaned and primed the Trident to correct this, so any help is appreciated...... Just to be really clear, I'm seeing are anywhere from 1 to 3 off I off on ALK. Mine is anywhere from 5 to 6 off on ALK and to the point where it won't even register anything other than 0 on the Trident. However, the Ca and Mg are dead nuts on!

4 weeks ago when I tested my tank water with a Hanna ALK tester, I got 10.2 dKh and the Trident was within a tolerance of .3 dKh, so the Trident was outputting 10.5 dKh. Over the past 4 weeks, I have seen a shift in the value on my Trident. Using the same A Reagent, calibrated to the correct value, the Trident value started to climb. I have cleaned the vial with a Q-tip as mentioned in other threads.

So, for example:
4 weeks ago Hanna was 10.2 and Trident was 1.5dkh apart.
3 weeks ago Hanna was 10.2 and Trident was 12.~dkh .
2 weeks ago Hanna was 10.2 and Trident was 14.~dkh.
1 week ago Hanna was 10.2 and Trident was Bad ALK Test.

* All the manual test were verified with a Red Sea manual test which was always within a few drops is test solution with the Hanna
The ALK value of the tank remained stable while the Trident continued to creep up. During this time, I did several recalibrations, which returned the Trident to the correct value, but the next test showed it was back to the higher value. So, having tried other lots of Apex A Reagent and getting the same result, indicates that there is something wrong with the Trident, as it is getting an out-of-range error. What is really confusing is that Ca and Mg have match the Hanna and Red Sea test almost exactly.

Trident Screen shot.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey All -

I am having a Trident issue that I currently have a ticket on, but it seems to not be familiar to Apex. So, I am looking to the community to see if anyone else has experienced this....
I do understand about the Trident out of range, so, I do understand why I am getting this error. However, I would expect ALL test readings to shift. I have tried multiple re-cals and Reagent A lot samples to find the issue. I have also, flushed, cleaned and primed the Trident to correct this, so any help is appreciated...... Just to be really clear, I'm seeing are anywhere from 1 to 3 off I off on ALK. Mine is anywhere from 5 to 6 off on ALK and to the point where it won't even register anything other than 0 on the Trident. However, the Ca and Mg are dead nuts on!

4 weeks ago when I tested my tank water with a Hanna ALK tester, I got 10.2 dKh and the Trident was within a tolerance of .3 dKh, so the Trident was outputting 10.5 dKh. Over the past 4 weeks, I have seen a shift in the value on my Trident. Using the same A Reagent, calibrated to the correct value, the Trident value started to climb. I have cleaned the vial with a Q-tip as mentioned in other threads.

So, for example:
4 weeks ago Hanna was 10.2 and Trident was 1.5dkh apart.
3 weeks ago Hanna was 10.2 and Trident was 12.~dkh .
2 weeks ago Hanna was 10.2 and Trident was 14.~dkh.
1 week ago Hanna was 10.2 and Trident was Bad ALK Test.

* All the manual test were verified with a Red Sea manual test which was always within a few drops is test solution with the Hanna
The ALK value of the tank remained stable while the Trident continued to creep up. During this time, I did several recalibrations, which returned the Trident to the correct value, but the next test showed it was back to the higher value. So, having tried other lots of Apex A Reagent and getting the same result, indicates that there is something wrong with the Trident, as it is getting an out-of-range error. What is really confusing is that Ca and Mg have match the Hanna and Red Sea test almost exactly.

Trident Screen shot.jpg
Seems several of us have varying issues
Mine is with calcium (verified with recent Icp test) and others with MAG

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back