Help on nutrient levels.....

Amtaylor417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I need a bit of help and guidance. I run a 110 gallon tank it's about 4 months old but had other tanks the is the now established upgraded tank. My tank is lps/soft corals and fish. I just did a 45 gallon water change on Sat. 2/5. Here is what my levels tested at today 2/9:
Nitrate: approx 15
Nitrite: 0
dKH: 11.2
Calcium: 485
Mag: 1680
Haven't dosed since before the water change.

One of my zoas just isn't looking good at all and I have a splatter green branching hammer that one of the heads isn't fully opened. And seems unhappy.

Not sure what to do.....can you guys give me suggestions please!!!!!!! Thank you in advance!

OP
OP
Amtaylor417

Amtaylor417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres my best suggestion:
Keep the Fluvals you have and add an Orphek OR3 light bar- Not crazy priced and awesome color effects to work with your current lite. Reef Brite is also a good light bar.
Hey, so the orpheck I found one, but they don't dim, so just run it the same time I run my fluval strip?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey, so the orpheck I found one, but they don't dim, so just run it the same time I run my fluval strip?
Yes. The colors will amaze both you and your corals and make your fish glow
Sky blue best but even blue plus is good
If you can, have orphek go on one hour before fluval and off one hour after fluval

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes strip fixture
Try 21Ledusa. Very powerful strip. Affordable. I've got several of the ultra actinic reefbar pro lights as supplemental and primary lighting. Decent controller. 2 24 inch bars will add 150 watts. Sps levels. You can turn them down with dimmers or controller.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Amtaylor417

Amtaylor417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone, just did a waterchange on 3/16. Just tested my water and these are the parameters and I have orange algae. I literally can figure this out. Everything g has been good for a while and all of a sudden(with me not changing anything) water parameters are out of whack. Oh, except I did get the orphek light and love it!

Water parameters are as follows:
PH:7.6
NITRATE: 5
PHOS: .4
ALK: 9.8
CALCIUM: 470
MAG: 1840

IM NOT DOSING ANYTHING...HELPPP!!!!

Upvote 0

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I need a bit of help and guidance. I run a 110 gallon tank it's about 4 months old but had other tanks the is the now established upgraded tank. My tank is lps/soft corals and fish. I just did a 45 gallon water change on Sat. 2/5. Here is what my levels tested at today 2/9:
Nitrate: approx 15
Nitrite: 0
dKH: 11.2
Calcium: 485
Mag: 1680
Haven't dosed since before the water change.

One of my zoas just isn't looking good at all and I have a splatter green branching hammer that one of the heads isn't fully opened. And seems unhappy.

Not sure what to do.....can you guys give me suggestions please!!!!!!! Thank you in advance!
Your alk is WAY too high. LPS and softies don't like that alk that high. IME NSW works best for alk for those creatures.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone, just did a waterchange on 3/16. Just tested my water and these are the parameters and I have orange algae. I literally can figure this out. Everything g has been good for a while and all of a sudden(with me not changing anything) water parameters are out of whack. Oh, except I did get the orphek light and love it!

Water parameters are as follows:
PH:7.6
NITRATE: 5
PHOS: .4
ALK: 9.8
CALCIUM: 470
MAG: 1840

IM NOT DOSING ANYTHING...HELPPP!!!!
Before doing anything get a second opinion on test results from your LFS if possible. Mag is really high but could be inaccurate testing. Phosphate also a little high, alk raised but not a concern if stable. Make sure salinity is being tested accurately with a refractometer using calibration fluid.

Upvote 0

wwcgroupie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making you’re own water is by far the best and easiest way to go about it. It can be a little investment up front, buying the RODI system, but long term it’s easier safer and ultimately you have more control over water chemistry.

Upvote 0

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get to the bottom of the saltwater you are using for water changes. Or mix your own with ro water. Check the specs on the salt you are going to use also. Different salt brands have specs all over the place.

Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back