Help on placement of a devil's hand near other corals?

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've tried to find info on placing a devil's hand near other corals... mainly in question, my toadstool?
Or is a devils hand a type of toadstool? Anyways... ive ordered a frag and want to be sure to have plenty of room for it, at the same time not touching other corals that might be an issue. Any pointers would be appreciated. I want my corals happy.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights went out for the night, but heres a picture from a few weeks ago of my aquascape.
Basically, i only have a couple coral , a green star polyps, a tiny toadstool on the left back corner. A small torch, currently on the front right corner,( but could be moved) . A hammer on the mid right rock. And two zoas and a acan on bottom front center. Just in planning phase now so any placement ideas would be appreciated. Ive ordered a devil's hand frag, another hammer, and gongordian. On the way.
Send a pic of your tank

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230418_210257_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230418_210257_Gallery.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 116

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one mid tank on the side and it has grown vertically and now brushes up against some SPS. It obviously irritates them. I let it go for awhile to see if they would play nice but the SPS did not like it so had to trim the leather back. Still think it's toxins bother nearby corals also. I would try to place it so no contact with other coral and run carbon to keep the turpenes down in the water column.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one mid tank on the side and it has grown vertically and now brushes up against some SPS. It obviously irritates them. I let it go for awhile to see if they would play nice but the SPS did not like it so had to trim the leather back. Still think it's toxins bother nearby corals also. I would try to place it so no contact with other coral and run carbon to keep the turpenes down in the water column.
Thanks. I was thinking of placing it in the front left corner, but my toadstool is in the back left corner. Im thinking the toadstool will grow up like a trumpet and it will be out of its way?
Or ....should i place it on the left front corner , where my hammers will be placed on mid to upper rock over there?... Not sure.
I have a small torch that can be moved. Im thinking on the mid center. Just hard to know.... Being so new. Hopefully i can plan ahead for the happiness of my future corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I've tried to find info on placing a devil's hand near other corals... mainly in question, my toadstool?
Or is a devils hand a type of toadstool? Anyways... ive ordered a frag and want to be sure to have plenty of room for it, at the same time not touching other corals that might be an issue. Any pointers would be appreciated. I want my corals happy.
Its a member of toadstool group and safe by each other. Mine are right in with hammers and Monti with no issues.

1681870120317.png
1681870131435.png

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was thinking of placing it in the front left corner, but my toadstool is in the back left corner. Im thinking the toadstool will grow up like a trumpet and it will be out of its way?
Or ....should i place it on the left front corner , where my hammers will be placed on mid to upper rock over there?... Not sure.
I have a small torch that can be moved. Im thinking on the mid center. Just hard to know.... Being so new. Hopefully i can plan ahead for the happiness of my future corals.
Well you have plenty of options since you're just starting stocking. They don't grow wide just vertically. May get another branch or two but they are easily trimmed back if needed but looking at your tank pic do you have sufficient lighting for a 75? One side seems pretty dark.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you have plenty of options since you're just starting stocking. They don't grow wide just vertically. May get another branch or two but they are easily trimmed back if needed but looking at your tank pic do you have sufficient lighting for a 75? One side seems pretty dark.
Oh, this pic was before my second light came in. Right now i have two kessil awe tuna blue. Possibly I'll add two more in the future. But for now, i dont intend on getting sps anytime soon.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, this pic was before my second light came in. Right now i have two kessil awe tuna blue. Possibly I'll add two more in the future. But for now, i dont intend on getting sps anytime soon.
I didnt know they grew vertically, thought it might spread out and take alot of space across the bottom so thats very helpful info to know.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt know they grew vertically, thought it might spread out and take alot of space across the bottom so thats very helpful info to know.
Mine spread somewhat with additional branches but mainly it grows vertically. It's about 10 inches tall now and I cut it back to half that size 3 or 4 months back. But maybe it's just reaching for more light since it's on the side of the tank where par is lower levels. It's next to a bunch of shrooms. I've had it 1.5 years now. I have sinularia leather too.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had mine in the back, first on the righ but now on the left. Isn’t really too near anything but most everything is is doing well. Fair amount of flow as well.
B3CE4DE4-A521-49B0-A962-47C8FA31873C.jpeg

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is currently in a new tank and I need to find a better place for it, but my last tank I had it front and center. It sat among other corals with zero issues. It is one of the quicker growing corals I have and will swell up in the lights and deflate at night. It currently has an alveopora brushing up against it. The alveopora causes the polyps on the devils hand to stay closed right in that area but neither show signs of damage or anything.
first pic is current and second pic is previous tank. They are definitely cool corals! And for what it’s worth, the 140 number is the par in that area…. I was testing mine at the time
D3B11F22-B291-4BF7-85AF-D8CD6F44807B.jpeg
3137121B-D210-4589-96AC-0808F775B022.jpeg

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine spread somewhat with additional branches but mainly it grows vertically. It's about 10 inches tall now and I cut it back to half that size 3 or 4 months back. But maybe it's just reaching for more light since it's on the side of the tank where par is lower levels. It's next to a bunch of shrooms. I've had it 1.5 years now. I have sinularia leather too.
Thanks for the helpful info.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is currently in a new tank and I need to find a better place for it, but my last tank I had it front and center. It sat among other corals with zero issues. It is one of the quicker growing corals I have and will swell up in the lights and deflate at night. It currently has an alveopora brushing up against it. The alveopora causes the polyps on the devils hand to stay closed right in that area but neither show signs of damage or anything.
first pic is current and second pic is previous tank. They are definitely cool corals! And for what it’s worth, the 140 number is the par in that area…. I was testing mine at the time
D3B11F22-B291-4BF7-85AF-D8CD6F44807B.jpeg
3137121B-D210-4589-96AC-0808F775B022.jpeg
Wow... your tanks are beautiful. It certainly is my favorite piece in your previous aquarium. Front and center... it looks so beautiful. I hope mine grows that nicely. It looks like the same color as the one i ordered. Its supposed to arrive today. Also, that green star
polyps on the vack wall.. sooo cool.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... your tanks are beautiful. It certainly is my favorite piece in your previous aquarium. Front and center... it looks so beautiful. I hope mine grows that nicely. It looks like the same color as the one i ordered. Its supposed to arrive today. Also, that green star
polyps on the vack wall.. sooo cool.
Thank you. When I first got the devils hand it was the size of a child’s thumb probably.. that was probably almost 2 yrs ago

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back