Help on when to add corals pls!

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I started mine on 4/16 with innovative marine 30l.

My filteration system

Ro/di on wc and top off
In tank media filter floss
Marine pure ball in bag
Rowa gfo bag
Redsea carbon bag
In tank refugium rack with innovative marine refugium light
Innovative marine media reactor filled with biopellet
Innovative marine DC skim skimmer

Live stock

Pair of clownfish 1.5" both
Kole tang 2"
Mandarin goby 1.5"
8 snails

How did I do with cycle process?

Started with live sand, 50/50 ratio of live rock and dry rock waited 3 week before fish addition. Added bacteria supplement nearly everyday (mix of microbacter7, biospira, dr.tim one and only still dosing daily)

Did several water changes after I checked my nitrate was way high (before add fish)

Now with red sea nitrate test kit pro I get around 5ppm nitrate (week of 4 test result before water change ) 0 ammonia 0 nitrite.

I do not know about phosphate, since I dont have a test kit for it but I'm sure it's on track since my cheato on the back is growing good.

I have saw diatoms disappeared ( was about 2 weeks) and saw couple brown hair algae. After that I did immediate 3 times wc. Now I dont see any algae grow on rocks for week and half.

Am I too early for corals yet? Did I not on gha and cyano phase yet? Or sometime can you pass if your parameters are fine?
556bd989f1f134421f1cfbfdc316da2e.jpg
f73a0b5c8d522a8abd1606795e92aadf.jpg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a solid start!

First red flag is that you are running phosphate removal media without testing for phosphate. That might get you into some trouble with cyano, dinos, and overall coral health.

For the first year in a dry rock syste., testing and maintaining phosphate in a healthy range is important. After the tank matures it becomes less important as bacteria, microfauna, rtc have all established. Since you started with some live rock, that should only help quicken the maturity process. (I only test phosphate monthly now and rarely make changes to it even if it is too high).

What corals are you hoping to start?

OP
OP
cojo8888

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a solid start!

First red flag is that you are running phosphate removal media without testing for phosphate. That might get you into some trouble with cyano, dinos, and overall coral health.

For the first year in a dry rock syste., testing and maintaining phosphate in a healthy range is important. After the tank matures it becomes less important as bacteria, microfauna, rtc have all established. Since you started with some live rock, that should only help quicken the maturity process. (I only test phosphate monthly now and rarely make changes to it even if it is too high).

What corals are you hoping to start?
I see maybe I should remove the bag and rely on cheato. For the corals Zoas for to start. I do love Montis as well and euphylia corals.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back