help once again required

PaulSalley3099

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2020
Messages
18
Reaction score
22
Location
UK
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, wondered if anyone could share any ideas as to whats happening to my Hammer Coral. Its been fine in the spot its in for about 6 months, but the last 24hrs it seems to had decided to start detaching itself from its base.

Ive started doing water tests, which so far is Temp 27.2c, Salinty 34ppm, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate is high at 25, (I am preparing water for a water change) PH8.2, Alk 6.5, low and ive boosted it. Literally as I was making this post, the coral has detached itself from its base, and has settle in a rock crevice.

Is it a gonner, is it saveable, should I remove, either or both parts. This has happened really quickly.

Any advice greatly appretiated.

Paul.

20210223_104110.jpg 20210223_104110.jpg 20210223_105905 (1).jpg 20210223_105711.jpg
 
They do that when real unhappy, they try to find a new place to live through polyp bailout. It’s not dead yet but it is very stressed. You already know your params are off, need to keep them more in line and stable.
btw this LPS not SPS
 
Thank you for your swift reply. I'm guessing i should remove the old base, but leave the corals tentacles where they are? Which parameter do you think is likely to be the main cause of its unhappiness? Should I complete a water change at this point, or do a more gradual return to better parameters, (trying not to make a bad situation worse?
 
Thank you for your swift reply. I'm guessing i should remove the old base, but leave the corals tentacles where they are? Which parameter do you think is likely to be the main cause of its unhappiness? Should I complete a water change at this point, or do a more gradual return to better parameters, (trying not to make a bad situation worse?
Just leave it all alone in the tank. Low alk is a problem, hight nitrate is too. A 25% water change would be good to do.
 
Have had hammers thriving in nitrates much higher than yours. Alk is a problem...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new