slime, Mucus, Bacteria Bloom?

simon.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello its my 1st post and hoping for some help.

Ive read a few similar posts now, but im still unsure fully what the possible cause is and if it relates to me. I think there is a few reefers that have came across this before and some are not 100% on what solved it in the end for them. My setup is so new and basic that i thought it might be worth posting as im basically eradicating some of potential contributors to this and hopefully helping to narrow down some possibilities.

My setup,

New house and installed a new tank.

Home is a new A rated house with a 24hr air extract system running. It pulls the fresh air from window vents and extracts through multiple ducts throughout the house.
Tank is located in the living room.

Perfume spray & scented candle have been used downstairs in the 1st two months but not since. Ive also had these used in my previous home and never had this issue before.

Peninsula 500 with sump & 3 x Red sea pendant lights
Nero 5 pump. Hoping to add a 2nd soon
Deltec 600i (Turned on after 1st fish introduced)
M2 Return Pump
Vecton v2 600 steriliser (Approx 4 months now 24 hrs)
Mimilist Aquascape
Maxspect Bioblocks (Maybe added after cycle)
Blau 2.3k dc Return pump 90% feeding only UV
Red sea live pink sand with shallow sand bed
Red Sea Pro salt

My house has a water softener that uses salt blocks. I then have a Aqua medic platinum RODI installed and have been using this since the initial fill.

4 x Clowns, Purple tang, orchid dottyback.
2 clowns, purple tang & dottyback were from a old setup.

Turbos, Bumbles, Hermits as clean up crew so far. Fireshrinp too but havent seen him since adding him.
I have seem to have lost alot of snails since 1st adding them and they are populating like mad in the tank and sump.

I havent added any corals yet.

I built the aquascape from dried out old live rock i had from a very old system of about 20 year ago. I followed the BRS tutorial for bleaching the rock. I couldn't find the exact brands they used as im not living in the states but i believe it was done as directed and i used unscented bleach. I noticed the bleach smell took a long time for it to disappear completely. I did the treatment using the chlorine neutraliser and tested with a kit i found on Radionics. The smell did remain until it basically evaporated from the rock. The aquascape was about 3 months before it was introduced to the tank. I only used ECO TECH Glue & Nyos Cement.

I have only ever put in Bactoblend into the tank & used this to cycle the tank. I only have used 1 & 1/2 bottles to date.
No dosing or nothing else has ever been added.

Cycle seemed to have went very fast and maybe within two i noticed it had fully cycled. 1s added fish 2x small clowns after about a month from memory.
I may of detected a bit of Amonia at a later date, but i cant remember too much about it now and what could of caused it.

I try to do a 25l water change most weeks.

From memory this is what i remember and in the order.
I noticed after the initial fill the cloudiness in the water. This was visible for a few weeks. I then noticed the white, translucent slim appear on the filter socks. The sponge kept blocking and filter socks too. It was now a daily routine and also cleaning the skimmer as it was overflowing on the 2nd day if not cleaned. I eventually got fed up trying to manually clean up the slime and cleaning the equipment daily and decided to remove the sponge and socks entirely. The slim did only develop in the dark sump area at this time. I then added the UV to the system and it cleared up the cloudiness in the water. The slime did also retreat because there was nothing for it to catch onto until i added back in 1 of the filter socks, and straight away it would return. I have then started to notice it in the main tank now and its clinging to the rocks in strings.

I spoke with my local LFS and they recommend carbon in a sock inside a filter cup which worked a treat. 3 days later after a good clean as well, the tank was clear as crystal and from memory the rocks were so much better. Every so often when the tank looks good, i add back in just one sock and a few days later another for only this to repeat itself again and again. When cleaning the sump it ends up going back into the display and bonds to the rocks again. This time i left the fluff on the rocks & It nows seems to have developed into a solid crust covering most of the rock surface.

The slime also seems to be getting darker and brown in colour as the tank matures.

I sent off a ICP test last week & curious on what that will come back with.

My paramters have been fairly good since the cycle.

Red Sea test kit
Nitrates always low. 0 today
PH -8.0-8.2

KH Hanna - 7.5 tested today
UL Phosphorus Hanna - tested 1st time today, 0 & 1ppm on the two separate tests as i had a battery low warning.

Ive never had any algae bloom since day one or even noticed any algae in the tank other than this slime. I battled all sorts of algae's for years in my exiting setups.

Im probably 8 months battling this with no idea whats causing it and how to fully remove it from the system. Im basically keeping it at bay with my methods, but i cant progress with the tank in anyway. The socks and sponge have been removed since its early days & the tank is so noisy in this state and is so unpleasant in the living room.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

20201115_202039.jpg 20201115_202107.jpg 20210310_211024.jpg 20210310_211048.jpg 20210311_204637.jpg 20210311_204726.jpg 20210405_114331.jpg 20210405_134759.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello its my 1st post and hoping for some help.

Ive read a few similar posts now, but im still unsure fully what the possible cause is and if it relates to me. I think there is a few reefers that have came across this before and some are not 100% on what solved it in the end for them. My setup is so new and basic that i thought it might be worth posting as im basically eradicating some of potential contributors to this and hopefully helping to narrow down some possibilities.

My setup,

New house and installed a new tank.

Home is a new A rated house with a 24hr air extract system running. It pulls the fresh air from window vents and extracts through multiple ducts throughout the house.
Tank is located in the living room.

Perfume spray & scented candle have been used downstairs in the 1st two months but not since. Ive also had these used in my previous home and never had this issue before.

Peninsula 500 with sump & 3 x Red sea pendant lights
Nero 5 pump. Hoping to add a 2nd soon
Deltec 600i (Turned on after 1st fish introduced)
M2 Return Pump
Vecton v2 600 steriliser (Approx 4 months now 24 hrs)
Mimilist Aquascape
Maxspect Bioblocks (Maybe added after cycle)
Blau 2.3k dc Return pump 90% feeding only UV
Red sea live pink sand with shallow sand bed
Red Sea Pro salt

My house has a water softener that uses salt blocks. I then have a Aqua medic platinum RODI installed and have been using this since the initial fill.

4 x Clowns, Purple tang, orchid dottyback.
2 clowns, purple tang & dottyback were from a old setup.

Turbos, Bumbles, Hermits as clean up crew so far. Fireshrinp too but havent seen him since adding him.
I have seem to have lost alot of snails since 1st adding them and they are populating like mad in the tank and sump.

I havent added any corals yet.

I built the aquascape from dried out old live rock i had from a very old system of about 20 year ago. I followed the BRS tutorial for bleaching the rock. I couldn't find the exact brands they used as im not living in the states but i believe it was done as directed and i used unscented bleach. I noticed the bleach smell took a long time for it to disappear completely. I did the treatment using the chlorine neutraliser and tested with a kit i found on Radionics. The smell did remain until it basically evaporated from the rock. The aquascape was about 3 months before it was introduced to the tank. I only used ECO TECH Glue & Nyos Cement.

I have only ever put in Bactoblend into the tank & used this to cycle the tank. I only have used 1 & 1/2 bottles to date.
No dosing or nothing else has ever been added.

Cycle seemed to have went very fast and maybe within two i noticed it had fully cycled. 1s added fish 2x small clowns after about a month from memory.
I may of detected a bit of Amonia at a later date, but i cant remember too much about it now and what could of caused it.

I try to do a 25l water change most weeks.

From memory this is what i remember and in the order.
I noticed after the initial fill the cloudiness in the water. This was visible for a few weeks. I then noticed the white, translucent slim appear on the filter socks. The sponge kept blocking and filter socks too. It was now a daily routine and also cleaning the skimmer as it was overflowing on the 2nd day if not cleaned. I eventually got fed up trying to manually clean up the slime and cleaning the equipment daily and decided to remove the sponge and socks entirely. The slim did only develop in the dark sump area at this time. I then added the UV to the system and it cleared up the cloudiness in the water. The slime did also retreat because there was nothing for it to catch onto until i added back in 1 of the filter socks, and straight away it would return. I have then started to notice it in the main tank now and its clinging to the rocks in strings.

I spoke with my local LFS and they recommend carbon in a sock inside a filter cup which worked a treat. 3 days later after a good clean as well, the tank was clear as crystal and from memory the rocks were so much better. Every so often when the tank looks good, i add back in just one sock and a few days later another for only this to repeat itself again and again. When cleaning the sump it ends up going back into the display and bonds to the rocks again. This time i left the fluff on the rocks & It nows seems to have developed into a solid crust covering most of the rock surface.

The slime also seems to be getting darker and brown in colour as the tank matures.

I sent off a ICP test last week & curious on what that will come back with.

My paramters have been fairly good since the cycle.

Red Sea test kit
Nitrates always low. 0 today
PH -8.0-8.2

KH Hanna - 7.5 tested today
UL Phosphorus Hanna - tested 1st time today, 0 & 1ppm on the two separate tests as i had a battery low warning.

Ive never had any algae bloom since day one or even noticed any algae in the tank other than this slime. I battled all sorts of algae's for years in my exiting setups.

Im probably 8 months battling this with no idea whats causing it and how to fully remove it from the system. Im basically keeping it at bay with my methods, but i cant progress with the tank in anyway. The socks and sponge have been removed since its early days & the tank is so noisy in this state and is so unpleasant in the living room.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

20201115_202039.jpg 20201115_202107.jpg 20210310_211024.jpg 20210310_211048.jpg 20210311_204637.jpg 20210311_204726.jpg 20210405_114331.jpg 20210405_134759.jpg
#reefsquad

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF!!! I’ve seen this before in tanks and believe it is bacterial in nature. But I’m not sure. My opinion on it is that there aren’t enough other organisms competing, therefore this bacteria (or whatever it is) is growing out of control. You didn’t mention carbon dosing and I’m assuming you aren’t because you didn’t mention it in your detailed post. However, stop carbon dosing if you are. A UV probably won’t help as this stuff is confined to areas as slime. Manual removal and a deep clean may be your best bet. As you add in “wet” items such as inverts or corals, hopefully there will be some biodiversity on them that will add to your tank’s overall biodiversity, thus helping to compete against it. I’m not sure if your bleaching of the rocks has anything to do with this or not. Good luck and keep us updated.

OP
OP
S

simon.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply ScottR.
Yeah ive never done any carbon dosing. Ive got back in my ICP test results if anyone is interested in looking. Iodine and Barium are the two that are out of norm levels.

Since changing out the carbon on Mon the growth of the slime has nearly disappeared from the sump. It still remains fairly strong on the liverock in the main display. If it doesn't disappear from here in the next few days, ill try turkey blasting it off at the weekend. I was previously using a Fluval Carbon & this time ive tried the RED sea Carbon or If anyone recommends a good carbon to use, ill definitely give that a try. I will also set a reminder for swapping it out in a months time and see if i can keep it under control from here out.

Attachments

• Peninsula 500 - 04_07_2021 (B-K76pak).pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 52

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Simon. From what I have read and seen carbon will only last about 2 weeks in salt due to the normal slime. Like what corals produce I suppose. I run mine about 2 weeks a month on average. Unless you rinse clean the carbon, may last longer.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Simon. From what I have read and seen carbon will only last about 2 weeks in salt due to the normal slime. Like what corals produce I suppose. I run mine about 2 weeks a month on average. Unless you rinse clean the carbon, may last longer.
You can bake charcoal to reactivate it or replace it. I replace weekly. There are some videos and research showing effectiveness on charcoal and IMO after other people's research it drops off quickly after initial use so I just toss it and replace with whatever aquarium brand was cheapest.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can bake charcoal to reactivate it or replace it. I replace weekly. There are some videos and research showing effectiveness on charcoal and IMO after other people's research it drops off quickly after initial use so I just toss it and replace with whatever aquarium brand was cheapest.
I buy mine in bulk, 5 gallon bucket for around $90. Kolar Labs is what I use and seems okay. Too much trouble to bake it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back