Help!! Outbreak of quick spreading algae, not sure what it is!!?

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so about a week ago I bought a 20 gallon long tank and siliconed baffles in to make a sump...I let it set and dry for about 32 hours, and installed it....welllll today I noticed what looked like to be piece of hair all over rock in different places and before I knew it, I mean in like 30 minutes, it spread everywhere!!!!! I figured i t had to be I didn't let the silicone cure long enough, but was dry and held water great! But its a white long hair like guey stringy stuff. And its growing all over the glass and rocks and some ZOA's! Its trying to get all over my corals but did a massive water change and meticulously siphoned out every piece and cleaned my corals! I stopped the sump and took it out and set up a different smaller one that is acrylic and I know is OK and cleaned every piece with vinager and water than got it up and going again. But I'm at a loss here I have no idea what to do, BC I know this is going to stress the crap out of my corals! Any help or advice would be awesome right now! I don't have any pics right now as I spent about 6 hours trying to get everything cleaned up but was curious if anyone has dealt with this? And please help! Lol that is in advance!!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any picture?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are needed.

Algae doesn't grow that fast.

Silicone needs more time to cure....might be the cause.

I'm going to guess you're corals are stressing and releasing slime....but that's a guess.

What color is this stuff?

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't take a pic BC every time I do my camera doesn't really pick it up, and would be posting a pic nobody would be able to see.....buuuuuut the good news is after about 4 water changes, they have stopped growing and have stopped! I can confirm now it was from the new sump that I had just put in! Guess I know now not to do that again! Lol

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I've checked and checked the silicone I used and its all good.....thinking about it, the night I dosed it I realized that I had just gotten red sea reef energy a & b and dosed as instructed and that night is when this happened....well it cleared up as stated, so I decided now that its gone, let's do a test and add another dose of the reef energy, the next day, and see if that's what did it. Well to my surprise, I noticed that soon after I dosed red sea reef energy, it started getting thick with all this white stringy stuff...I'm trying to take a picture now of this stuff BC its down in my sumps and just everywhere!! So annoying!!!! But I apologize if its not clear, but so you know what your looking at, its all over my chaeto and clogs the filter pad down there... Anybody have any experience with red sea reef energy?
IMG_20180401_191847_hdr.jpg

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cleaned out the sump and put fresh saltwater in....I siphoned out all the white strands in the tank and on corals this afternoon, and looking tonight, has regrown in a lot of places.....has nobody dealt with anything like this at all??

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are needed.

Algae doesn't grow that fast.

Silicone needs more time to cure....might be the cause.

I'm going to guess you're corals are stressing and releasing slime....but that's a guess.

What color is this stuff?

Posted pic of the sump

Clearest picture I could get, and the corals are not releasing this white strand stuff. It happened shortly after I dosed red sea energy a and b.....the sump I had running for about 4 days and seemed to be doing fine. I than took it apart and put my acrylic sump back in. Than dosed the energy again to see if that was the cause and it made this stuff flare up again....and yes, it spreads like wildfire. So I'm not sure if its algae or what it is, hence why I'm posting here asking if anyone has seen this of had it

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals are not stressed, they are all open and doing fine, ZOA's spreading and happy as heck, but this white stuff is just annoying BC it just grows so fast..thought it was the silicone, but there is no mold inhibitor in it and convinced now it was the red sea energy

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Makes sense, thanks everyone for the help, and yeah I was debating on which would have caused this, but dosing red sea again today didn't do it, so confirmed it was the silicone.....should have let it sit out for a week! A lot of folks told me after about 36 hours it would be good to go, but know better now! God that was a short nightmare and nasty! Thanks again everyone

Back