HELP! Overstocked Frag Tank - Corals dropping like FLIES!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigJohnny
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2015
Messages
3,707
Reaction score
2,373
Location
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon Reefers,

I currently am housing an abundance of frags from my old 50g reef in a temporary 20g frag tank. The corals were fine originally but have been dropping like flies recently (after 2 months). Params test fine. I am basically doing 3x a week 25% water changes but the corals are still dying one by one. I think that the ion or amino balance is out of wack because there are way too many corals in such a small tank (cant figure out why else they would be dying). Alk/Calc/Mag/Nitrates/Phos/Salinity/Temp are all in acceptable ranges and relatively stable, but still stuff is still dying. Any thoughts? Doesn't matter whether Acros/Acans/Chalice/Euphyllia etc. Has anyone else had a similar experience with an overstocked tank?

P.s. have also tried running activated carbon and even polyfilter to see if maybe there was some sort of contaminant or chemical warfare but to no avail.

I can't set up my new 90g yet so am afraid i will lose everything by the time it is ready in a week or so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 
ammonia? My 20 gallon tanks are stocked as full as possible with no ill effects. Though if something dies in a 20 you have to be diligent with carbon because they will release organic chemicals that will distress neighboring corals.
 
ammonia? My 20 gallon tanks are stocked as full as possible with no ill effects. Though if something dies in a 20 you have to be diligent with carbon because they will release organic chemicals that will distress neighboring corals.
I've tested ammonia several times always 0ppm. The only two things I can think of are ion balance or organic chemicals from the consistent dying of corals like you said. They are all small frags that have died and mostly those with little flesh so I assumed less waste and hadn't been thinking too much about that. Maybe I need to be running carbon constantly regardless? Don't know what else to do. Thanks for your input btw
 
Suppose lps and sps in 20g
But need some pics ...
Phone sucks and have leds so pics are even worse, plus there is too much going on I wouldn't even know what to take pics of. Also params are spot on so that eliminates most things that you can identify with pics.
 
Mean that your tank is not stable
And corals dye
I will ask from a friend with a cycled reef tank for 10g of water
And after a week other 10g
 
if sps are dying i can see that if you're unable to maintain steady alk, but not lps.. pic would be nice
 
Mean that your tank is not stable
And corals dye
I will ask from a friend with a cycled reef tank for 10g of water
And after a week other 10g
No my params are stable, the water changes ensure that. Thanks though
 
if sps are dying i can see that if you're unable to maintain steady alk, but not lps.. pic would be nice
Yes, like I said all params are stable. No alk swings or any swings for that matter. Like I said can't take good pics. The general idea is a lot of frags closed, some sps had stn or rtn, some bleaching, the whole mixed bag. Lighting is same as my old tank and I matched par so it's not lighting.
 
Flow, perhaps? And/or light?
I don't think flow would kill frags one by one. I have sufficient flow anyway. Maybe some of the acros but like I said I've lost less flow dependent corals like lps. Lighting is same as before problems
 
Good Afternoon Reefers,

I currently am housing an abundance of frags from my old 50g reef in a temporary 20g frag tank. The corals were fine originally but have been dropping like flies recently (after 2 months). Params test fine. I am basically doing 3x a week 25% water changes but the corals are still dying one by one. I think that the ion or amino balance is out of wack because there are way too many corals in such a small tank (cant figure out why else they would be dying). Alk/Calc/Mag/Nitrates/Phos/Salinity/Temp are all in acceptable ranges and relatively stable, but still stuff is still dying. Any thoughts? Doesn't matter whether Acros/Acans/Chalice/Euphyllia etc. Has anyone else had a similar experience with an overstocked tank?

P.s. have also tried running activated carbon and even polyfilter to see if maybe there was some sort of contaminant or chemical warfare but to no avail.

I can't set up my new 90g yet so am afraid i will lose everything by the time it is ready in a week or so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If i had to take a shot in the dark here, if all your parameters have ben inline ,im guessing it could be bacterial, chemical or pest related? Try dipping everything in iodine. I know your in over your head, but imo your best bet is to just take a step back and leave it be. Dont worry about aminos elements ect.. just do a few water changes, keep your alk online and hope for the best bud!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new