HELP! Overstocked Frag Tank - Corals dropping like FLIES!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigJohnny
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Please post the actual numbers of your parameters. It bothers me when people say that they are in check. When you post them, then r2r can judge if they are in check.

Also please post pictures no matter how terrible you think they are.
 
What were your nitrate and phos before things started dying? and how long was the tank set up for before adding all that corals? how many fish are in the tank?

If this tank was set up and stocked in a hurry then your problem seems to be low nutrient due to an unestablished tank in combination with overstocking a tank that has not mature enough for corals especially acroporas. Normally i would let the tank run for a few months before stocking it with corals and make sure it had nutrient via a good bioload for it size. some people can get away with it but most of the time thats not the case.
 
I have to disagree with this. Certainly corals can sting each other but so many people have mixed reefs, including myself. I have a very large leather, 16" x 12" at least with a tank full of acropora. No issues, no need to run carbon. Also several zoa and paly colonies and large LPS

Also in my tank
But there is stability inside have sps growing over lps but they are in very good shape because they find in water all they need
Try to do a 75/100 wc weekly want to see what happen after a month
 
Here is a Monty growing over and trow a catalphyllia
A very aggressive coral
Any problems with them

20160910_111836.jpg
 
Please post your parameters. Are you ULNS? Undetectable N03/P04?

If you're doing 75% WC weekly and have no fish in the system (even if there's fish in the system), you're probably starving your corals. I had this happen on my 75g and I was losing corals because of it. SPS started to die first and then LPS started going downhill. I don't know why on earth you're doing a 75% WC weekly on such a small system that's just a frag tank. My 25 lagoon frag tank has 2 clowns in it with plenty of frags and I change 2G a week.

Believe it or not, you can have too LITTLE nutrients. I'm still undetectable N03/P04 on my DT but my corals have come around and look good now. I just took it too far before with too much WC/Carbon/GFO/Skimming/Chaeto. I now only run skim/chaeto and I've cut my WC in half. I had to run the system for a couple of months with no WC, no skimming and feeding heavy just to get it where I'm at now and like I said I still can't register N03/P04.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new