HELP! Phosphate is 0.34 in 6 month old tank

starrynight99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my phosphate is 0.34, checked several times with the Hanna Checker. Nitrate is 5.

Tank is 1000 litres and I do 10 percent water change weekly on auto water change. I checked the stored salt water and the phosphate is 0.05. Would that be adding to the phosphate problem? I do feed heavily which I am trying to correct.

I bought a 250mls bag of Phos FX from blue life and just put it in a high flow area in my sump. I have used it for 30 hours so far and haven't noticed a significant difference. All corals and fish are looking good so far. Any ideas what I should do next? Thanks!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use either Hannah reagent in either test kit and they produce the same results.

Read up on aragonite binding phosphate. They will bind more and more as water level rises... and unbind more and more and water level decreases. It can be hard at first to see water level po4 go down as rock/sand unbind, but it will happen with increased absorption media like GFO, Al Oxide and the like. Aragonite binding phosphate needs to be understood very well, IMO.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my phosphate is 0.34, checked several times with the Hanna Checker. Nitrate is 5.

Tank is 1000 litres and I do 10 percent water change weekly on auto water change. I checked the stored salt water and the phosphate is 0.05. Would that be adding to the phosphate problem? I do feed heavily which I am trying to correct.

I bought a 250mls bag of Phos FX from blue life and just put it in a high flow area in my sump. I have used it for 30 hours so far and haven't noticed a significant difference. All corals and fish are looking good so far. Any ideas what I should do next? Thanks!
The ‘bag of “stuff” in a high flow area‘ technique can work but much more slowly than a reactor and it is more work to tell if the “stuff” is used up. After a week, you could place the bag with Phos FX in a bucket with a little aquarium water. Swirl the bucket as many times as practical over 24 h and then measure the phosphate to see if the medium removed any phosphate. You could do the test right now and then again in a week.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back