Help Picking an Overflow

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I go with a "reef ready" tank, drill a tank myself or just use a HoB overflow? For drilling and installing my own overflow, what are some good brands to use?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef ready or if you're confident, drill yourself. I have a HOB and while it's never failed its pretty noisy and having PVC protruding sucks.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled my own tank. Went with the Eshopps eclipse L overflow. Went with the bigger one so I could use the bean animal style plumbing. Drill bit comes with the overflow as well as a template to go by. Nothing to it at all

This was the first tank i ever had with a sump underneath it so I was a bit nervous at first. Watched a few how to videos on YouTube and just went for. If really is a simple process... Just let the drill do the work, no pressure on it

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think "reef ready" is becoming less and less popular. Depending on the brand of tank, the standard reef ready overflows take up a ridiculous amount of real estate in an aquarium. With half a dozen companies producing "silent" overflows I wonder how long this will be the standard. Drilling aside, I assume most people continue to use reef ready because the aquariums aren't typically hard plumbed, which for whatever reason is more of an advanced hobbyist route.

I would definitely recommend drilling a tank yourself with any of the more appealing overflows personally. If you're patient and have the right materials its very easy. If you're really hesitant to do it I recommend talking to your LFS and see if they would be willing to drill it. Most have a lot of experience drilling glass. They will most likely not offer any guarantee in terms of not cracking it.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so if I go with drilling, what are some good brands of overflows?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used the old synergy overflow, no complaints there. I've seen/installed multiple of the Eshopps overflows and never had a problem with them. Elite Aquatic's also looks like they have a nice overflow on their website.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my 1500 Glass-Holes overflow....relatively small and quiet. Unfortunately I can't compare to others because that's the only overflow I've had (other than the HOB I had when I first started).

I would never, ever buy a "reef ready" tank....those overflows are so large and obtrusive, they end up being the "center piece" of your tank, and that's what you see.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the old synergy overflow, no complaints there. I've seen/installed multiple of the Eshopps overflows and never had a problem with them. Elite Aquatic's also looks like they have a nice overflow on their website.
I have looked at the Synergy ones and I love the look of them but they are like $250 for just the overflow, which is a bit much

I like my 1500 Glass-Holes overflow....relatively small and quiet. Unfortunately I can't compare to others because that's the only overflow I've had (other than the HOB I had when I first started).

I would never, ever buy a "reef ready" tank....those overflows are so large and obtrusive, they end up being the "center piece" of your tank, and that's what you see.
That is a good point! I think I will drill a tank (which will be terrifying!)

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have looked at the Synergy ones and I love the look of them but they are like $250 for just the overflow, which is a bit much
Eshopps large is the cheapest at around 120$ (But it includes the diamond bit). Synergy' s overflow is on sale for 160 on their website and BRS as far as I know. Elite aquatics is about the same price but I think they are made to order.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my synergy overflows. But they are pricey for sure. The glass hole& eshopps are less I'm pretty sure. Drilling a tank is not difficult. It is a little intimidating 1st time.
I may have missed it. How big is the tank we are talking about?

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my synergy overflows. But they are pricey for sure. The glass hole& eshopps are less I'm pretty sure. Drilling a tank is not difficult. It is a little intimidating 1st time.
I may have missed it. How big is the tank we are talking about?
Not sure on the size, I am currently shopping around for tanks to see what options I have. It will probably be at largest a 50g

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB overflow now for 2 years without any issues. I did make a Stockman Standpipe to cut the gurgling noise and it's very quite. I've heard stories of the siphon breaking and causing a flood, but in my set up the return section would run dry before that happens ( I tested it), in the 2 years it's been running I have never lost a siphon. If I had to do it over again I would definitely drill for aesthetic reasons.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran an hob overflow on a 40b for over 3years no problems. I have a 65g with an Eshopps eclipse m and like it a lot.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a HoB overflow before and never had an issue with it, I just they that they are kind of ugly lol

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out modular marine, I think I am going that way with a new 40br build.
Looked them up but it looks like they are not taking new orders for now

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out modular marine, I think I am going that way with a new 40br build.

I have one of modular marine's older model overflows and I have been happy with it. If i had a new build i would deffintly go with modular marine's new version over any other options. Its low profile, comes with bit AND template, Removal wier, very good quality with a good price. Found them on ebay.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Eclipse L overflow. I like it. It works well and has plenty of room to work and clean it. But the back close to the house wall is warping outward a bit right in the middle by about 1/8th inch. Too thin of plastic?

jamiec266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled my own tank. Went with the Eshopps eclipse L overflow. Went with the bigger one so I could use the bean animal style plumbing. Drill bit comes with the overflow as well as a template to go by. Nothing to it at all

This was the first tank i ever had with a sump underneath it so I was a bit nervous at first. Watched a few how to videos on YouTube and just went for. If really is a simple process... Just let the drill do the work, no pressure on it
was it really that easy??? ive watched a tone of how to vids, also have brought the diamond drill bits. but still nervous as hell about attempting it lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back