Help! Pinkbar goby goes after neon cleaner goby like prey

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a neon cleaner goby yesterday and he’s been out and about today. He is way smaller than I thought - and I’ve seen my flagtail pink bar goby a few times now go after him like he’s food.

Think the neon will be okay and is quick enough to evade or is it just a matter of time? Bummed because he’s super cool and tiny, but so incredibly small.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an acclimation box you can put the cleaner goby in? Maybe that will give the pink bar time to get used to the new goby while keeping the new goby safe. The pink bar will most likely get used to the new goby but you don't want the new goby getting stressed/sick which could affect your entire tank.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an acclimation box you can put the cleaner goby in? Maybe that will give the pink bar time to get used to the new goby while keeping the new goby safe. The pink bar will most likely get used to the new goby but you don't want the new goby getting stressed/sick which could affect your entire tank.
Not a bad idea - I’ve only seen it happen twice now. The pinkbar isn’t actively seeking him - more if the neon goes near their part of the tank the pistol and pinkbar use. It definitely feels more like predation than anything territory. He doesn’t mind the citron goby at all.

The neon has been hanging out on the back wall, doesn’t seem too phased just yet, but definitely a concern he gets stressed/ich.

Also - I have an opening in the back top of my all-in-one (Red Sea Max Nano). Not sure what exactly its called but the thing that brings water back into the sump part. Real concern he’s going to end up going in there at some point - do they make anything to prevent that without altering filtration? We saw him peak his head in there tonight but fortunately he didnt like what he saw lol

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea - I’ve only seen it happen twice now. The pinkbar isn’t actively seeking him - more if the neon goes near their part of the tank the pistol and pinkbar use. It definitely feels more like predation than anything territory. He doesn’t mind the citron goby at all.

The neon has been hanging out on the back wall, doesn’t seem too phased just yet, but definitely a concern he gets stressed/ich.

Also - I have an opening in the back top of my all-in-one (Red Sea Max Nano). Not sure what exactly its called but the thing that brings water back into the sump part. Real concern he’s going to end up going in there at some point - do they make anything to prevent that without altering filtration? We saw him peak his head in there tonight but fortunately he didnt like what he saw lol
Ya, that's kind of weird. Usually gobies of different species get along well. It's usually two of the same species that can become problematic or if one goby is actively trying to take over the territory of another which doesn't sound like it's the case here. Hopefully the pink bar settles down but maybe do an acclimation box if needed. Even a clear plastic cup with holes punched in it will work or Tupperware container. You can clip it to the side of the tank but make sure to have some sort of lid on it so he can't jump. As for where he's hanging out and your fear he'll end up in the sump. I assume you mean the drain area (water leaves the tank to go into the sump of the AIO)? I would suggest putting filter floss in there for now if you have some or maybe some plastic or nylon mesh over it. Monitor it to make sure flow isn't obstructed. Like don't put something on it then immediately go to bed otherwise you might end up with an ocean on your floor. I know they make mesh guards for regular tanks but I don't know about AIOs.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, that's kind of weird. Usually gobies of different species get along well. It's usually two of the same species that can become problematic or if one goby is actively trying to take over the territory of another which doesn't sound like it's the case here. Hopefully the pink bar settles down but maybe do an acclimation box if needed. Even a clear plastic cup with holes punched in it will work or Tupperware container. You can clip it to the side of the tank but make sure to have some sort of lid on it so he can't jump. As for where he's hanging out and your fear he'll end up in the sump. I assume you mean the drain area (water leaves the tank to go into the sump of the AIO)? I would suggest putting filter floss in there for now if you have some or maybe some plastic or nylon mesh over it. Monitor it to make sure flow isn't obstructed. Like don't put something on it then immediately go to bed otherwise you might end up with an ocean on your floor. I know they make mesh guards for regular tanks but I don't know about AIOs.
Seems to be less of a thing now - they’re getting along better. The citron goby and neon almost seem to be pals and the neon will clean the citron when I feed the tank. The flagtail has chilled out, although I haven’t seen or heard my pistol today so a little worried something is up. My baranacle blenny is chilling with the flagtail goby and I would think the pistol would be snapping for this. Hoping I hear or see him soon

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back