Help please. Everything looks awful

Mr.BobDobalina

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Messages
38
Reaction score
45
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a large order yesterday and everything looked pretty great, honestly. A day in my QT tank and they look like trash. Parameters:

Salinity 1.025
KH 8.1
Cal 490 - not sure why maybe I blew the test
MG 1280

I'm not sure if I exposed them to too much light right away. Its a 10 gallon with a Kessil H80 Tuna. I turned it up high to show my family and forgot to bring it back down. I have turned down the light to about 35% right now. Have a Sicce Whale 200 canister attached, 190 GPH, and a small powerhead on the back wall, 270 GPH.

Not how I wanted to begin, feel terrible. TIA



20261007_152517.jpg

20261007_152526.jpg

20261007_152540.jpg

20261007_152550.jpg

20261007_152558.jpg
 
I'm really sorry to see that. Personally I would look into adding some chemical filtration to the water. If the tank has a biofilter and it was aged prior to adding livestock then a contaminant would be the first thing I look at. The light could have stressed them out, but the extent of this effect makes me think it's something more.

I'd add carbon and/or Purigen to the system. Does your ammonia look okay? At this point it could indicate a stressor, or just that things are dying. I imagine the corals got a dip before going into quarantine?

I wouldn't discard anything at this point. I've seen corals come back from a white skeleton before, as long as the conditions that caused it change back quickly.
 
The Kessil H80 is only 15 watts.
I am more inclined to feel acclimation or water chemistry is to blame. It's a new order I would give it more time.
I have a Kessil A80 and they are not very strong lights.
 
I'm really sorry to see that. Personally I would look into adding some chemical filtration to the water. If the tank has a biofilter and it was aged prior to adding livestock then a contaminant would be the first thing I look at. The light could have stressed them out, but the extent of this effect makes me think it's something more.

I'd add carbon and/or Purigen to the system. Does your ammonia look okay? At this point it could indicate a stressor, or just that things are dying. I imagine the corals got a dip before going into quarantine?

I wouldn't discard anything at this point. I've seen corals come back from a white skeleton before, as long as the conditions that caused it change back quickly.
No ammonia present. I was going to dip today after they settled in. I will perform so more tests and grab some media. TY
 
I'm sorry for that happened. The light is a 15 watt light, IMO its not strong enough to damage corals. I would turn the light back up. I agree to give it more time to adjust from the shipping. I wouldn't dip them at this point, that will stress them more, I would leave them alone and dip them once they look better.
 
Man I hope things work out for you! One thing you might also consider: perhaps less flow would help? Not zero flow but say 1/2 of what you’re supplying now. Also, can you direct some flow towards the surface to create a ripple and help incorporate oxygen. I say this because it’s not clear to me how aeration is happening. Maybe low oxygen? Best of luck! Let us know how things go.
 
looks like chemical warfare between the corals. u have corals that shouldn't next too each other in a 10 gallon tank. even if u ran a ton of carbon, those cores are way to close for them to be happy
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new