Help please. Have a leak at the overflow union

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a pro clear aquatic systems 125 cylinder. I disassembled the union under the tank in the sump housing when Installing the plumbing. Apparently the overflow plumbing was glued at the union and when I separated the union it left hard glue residue and torn bits of the gasket off. I have tried over and over to get it to seal with no luck. I am a loss On Knowing what to do. Does anyone k is what kind of glue I could possibly use. I would just but a new union and flex phone but I can t find where proclear sells these. Any suggestions in what I can do. I am feeling so stupid for taking the union apart. The return side union was not like this.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from their website

I am looking for a specific part. Where can I purchase it?

All parts and/or accessories can be purchased via drop ship from Fish Tanks Direct or Champion Lighting. This includes parts such as drain hoses, foam sponges, overflow boxes, siphon tubes, and more. If you do not see the part directly on their website, simply send them an email with your request.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually unions don't have glue. They are made to come apart and seal again. May just need to clean everything off the pvc.

OP
OP
SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually unions don't have glue. They are made to come apart and seal again. May just need to clean everything off the pvc.
this is what i thought as well but this one had been glued for sure. i should have not forced it apart but i felt i needed to for installation. now that i am done, it was totally unnecessary to take that union apart. i feel so stupid at the moment. my tank is full and need to get it flowing before going stagnant.

OP
OP
SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks i will be contacting them first thing this morning. would you know of any type sealant i could use as temporary fix that would work for with plastic plumbing and not have a reaction? im thinking i will try a new o ring and possibly even some epoxy or maybe wrap the outside of union with that stretchy sealing tape. im not worried about getting union back apart as its not even necessary for the install i just do not want to ruin it. just need to get water flowing until i can get a new one hopefully .
thanks

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s the drain you may be able to at least get the tank running until the new parts arrive using one of those friction tapes but don’t count in something like that long term. If it’s the return you can just bypass that line and run a hose up from the sump temporarily until the new parts arrive

OP
OP
SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after looking closer i believe i figured out what has happened when the manufacture was assembling the union it appears they had glued the slip joint parts of the union while the male and female threads were screwed together, excess glue ran to to the coupling point and also got on gasket. when i disassembled i pretty much ruined the seal. going to try a new gasket and some pvc cleaner. not sure what else i can do.
If it’s the drain you may be able to at least get the tank running until the new parts arrive using one of those friction tapes but don’t count in something like that long term. If it’s the return you can just bypass that line and run a hose up from the sump temporarily until the new parts arrive
got it. Even with a new print it did not seal. After closer inspection the manufacturing glue joint on the slip fitting was also bad. I will be ordering a replacement today. But this stuff right here has me up and running.

Attachments

• 5AB66787-5768-42BD-BDFB-4C8F18AC9E05.jpeg
    5AB66787-5768-42BD-BDFB-4C8F18AC9E05.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 18

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean out the O ring channel and the O ring. May work. If not, get a new O ring (its technically not a gasket)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back