Help please noticed a small white bug

lee&carter96

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2024
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
Location
england
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have just started my first reef tank (fluval 13.5) and need a bit of advice please. So I just put 2 clownfish in the tank after cycling for a month and a half. Today I noticed a small white looking bug floating around with the flow of water, it looked dead and cant find it now I think the current took it underneath a rock. I have used carbisea ocean direct sand and bought some dryrock from the local pet shop that I rinsed in ro water before putting in tank. Apart from aqua vitro seed and ammonia to cycle the tank nothing else has been added! Any ideas? Sorry I don't have much to go off
 
Google "copepods" and "amphipods" and see if any of those look like what you saw?
I did think it could be that but I always thought these are so small they just look like a white dot
 
Rotifers look like dots with the naked eye but pods are generally larger and you can (assuming 20/20 vision) make out shape, legs etc.

You want to encourage these types of microfauna, not only are they the best clean up crew but a constant source of food for other tank inhabitants.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new