Help Please, Refractometer vs ATC refractometer

drivingmecrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I have a Marineland refractometer and I'm having to double check the calibration everyday. I usually check it in the mornings and by mid evening I'm finding my self having to recalibrate it.

I calibrate it by using RODI water. I'm using the same container of water as I used during the morning. My source is my auto top off water next to my aquarium.

The temp stays the same in the house with the AC on.

Should a refractometer have to be calibrated this frequently or should I invest in an Automatic temperature compensation.

Is this my problem? What are your thoughts.

It's usually off by 1 point.

Thanks,

Christopher

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the imagitarium one for mine and I haven't calibrated it in like a month. It still gives me the same reading every time so no you shouldn't have to calibrate every day

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seriously consider the likes of the Milwaukee digital unit. I have 2 now and absolutely love them. Not cheap but one of the best pieces of equipment I have invested in and well worth it.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First problem is calibrating with RO/DI, you should be using calibration fluid. With a single point of reference our refractometers measure and stay calibrated better when calibrating closer to what your measuring(in our case that's 1.025 or 35ppt).

Yes your instruction probably say to calibrate with RO/DI, but that is false. ATC also helps, but is not needed if you just let your sample sit on the refractometer for 30 seconds so it's the same temp as the glass on your unit. Or warm up the glass with your hands before taking your reading so it's closer to your tanks temp.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, you shouldn’t have to calibrate it that often. as mentioned, just get the milwaukee digital. it will make your life much happier.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
drivingmecrazy

drivingmecrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I thought something was wrong

I will look into the Milwaukee digital unit. I had some calibration fluid 35ppt. I didn't think I could rely on it 100% I have seen numerous post about using rodi water versus the calibration solution. And considering how often I calibrated it.

I will use this solution for now on. I will check out this digital unit time to talk to the wife

Thanks for all the replies,

Christopher

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re very welcome Christopher.
I’ve found since having these Milwaukee units my stability is just far better. If it’s easier for me to do I do it more often...simple.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back