Help please with powerhead selection

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently setup a Waterbox 105.4 Frag tank.

Tank is 4 feet long, 23.5 wide and 16 deep. I really hate cords in the tank and would like to only do 1 pump/powerhead if I can. I've had an MP40 previously and they are good but very pricey. I was looking at doing either a single Icecap Gyre 2k or 4k. I initially wanted to mount the gyre on the center tank overflow pointing toward the front of the tank, but I think it will push too much water up towards the edge of the glass? Secondary location would be 1 pump mounted on either the left or right side pointing at the other side of the tank?

My second option is the NERO 3 or NERO 5. They are similarly priced to the Ice Cap gyres and much more affordable option than the ECOTECHs. I also have 2 AI Prime lights so I believe I can use the same app on my phone, but not sure what that would be worth versus having a separate app for the Ice Cap gyres?

Anyone have any opinions/advice on best placement of the single pump and suggestions on which is the better choice for my particular setup (1-2k or 4k Ice Cap Gyre, or 1 NERO-3 or NERO-5)?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently setup a Waterbox 105.4 Frag tank.

Tank is 4 feet long, 23.5 wide and 16 deep. I really hate cords in the tank and would like to only do 1 pump/powerhead if I can. I've had an MP40 previously and they are good but very pricey. I was looking at doing either a single Icecap Gyre 2k or 4k. I initially wanted to mount the gyre on the center tank overflow pointing toward the front of the tank, but I think it will push too much water up towards the edge of the glass? Secondary location would be 1 pump mounted on either the left or right side pointing at the other side of the tank?

My second option is the NERO 3 or NERO 5. They are similarly priced to the Ice Cap gyres and much more affordable option than the ECOTECHs. I also have 2 AI Prime lights so I believe I can use the same app on my phone, but not sure what that would be worth versus having a separate app for the Ice Cap gyres?

Anyone have any opinions/advice on best placement of the single pump and suggestions on which is the better choice for my particular setup (1-2k or 4k Ice Cap Gyre, or 1 NERO-3 or NERO-5)?
For a single pump I would go with a Gyre option. Personally I always go big and then turn it down if needed.

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I've been doing more research on the NERO 5 and found there's several users on 4 foot tanks and report that 1 NERO 5 is working well with almost no dead spots.

I'm now leaning toward 1 NERO 5 since it's cheaper, smaller footprint in the tank/sleeker, reportedly quiter than the gyres and doesn't require an extra app as I can use my existing AI app which is currently running my AI Primes.

I'm also considering if it will work in a central mounting spot on the overflow (middle of tank) pointing towards the front, since it is said to have a wider more gentle flow. That would hit all the check marks for me if center tank mount works an d gets enough flow to left and right side of tank.

Comments/advice/suggestions for reefers that might own the NEROs?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I recently had to decide . 2 mp40 or 2 maspect gyre. After doing a post for opinions and research. The Maspect Gyre gives you more control and options with just the controller alone, not to mention the option to have both gyres simultaneously alternate. Pretty cool feature. No dead spots
Good luck

JessOReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it will hold on 3/4. I have 5/8 acrylic and it was just barely strong enough to hold.

Thepower2win

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it will hold on 3/4. I have 5/8 acrylic and it was just barely strong enough to hold.
Thank you for the info, I got a couple of sicces SCE’s that Specs says 3/4 inch glass, not as pretty but they will do.

Back