Help please

kristofferzen

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
77
Reaction score
1
Location
Montgomery County
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this SPS a week ago it's a branching montipora. There is a
Spot on one of the branches that is dark in color it looks a dark spot that occasionally
Moves outward then inward. There are mucous threads around the tips of the
Coral. When I use a small pair of tongs it retracts. It almost looks like
Something is inside the coral branch like a snail? It is clear in color and
Two small clear antennae almost appear when the current opens the inlet of
The dark spot. Any suggestions?
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 143
Ok thanks! I was wondering! Do they burrow inside the coral? It looks like
It is inhabiting that part of the coral branch? Never had them before thanks!
How does one get rid of them lol
 
No they attach to a surface and build their own tube. It is the coral that is growing over the snail not the snail burrowing.They are generally harmless though when they are on coral their feeding nets can cause the coral to stay closed up. If he is not bothering the coral I would leave it be. If it does bother the coral just cover the entrance of the tube with a dab of super glue or putty.
 
Last edited:
don't leave it be they will continue to grow and in fact I have never seen a coral grow fast enough to cover it up nor have I ever seen a coral benefit from them and on the other hand I these guys regularly take nutrition that would other wise be available to the corals. they will also irritate the polyps with the mucus they use to trap food! I usually use needle nose pliers and break it off or glue him shut with coral glue but the glue isn't always effective.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new