Help pls, fish suffering from recurring problem, not sure what to do!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andrew D
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I guess I should collect all my thoughts before posting. I'm also going to test the water using an ICP from Fauna Marin. I knwo this is geared to reefs but I figure it will tell me if there's some other toxin in the water.


ICP only alert you to elements that are out of balance. The only toxins they identify are heavy metals. All organic toxins are just reports as "carbon".

That microscope may have too high of a magnification. You want something on the order of 40 to 80x magnification. You may get this to work on its lower settings.

To do a skin scrape, you first must be able to capture the fish without causing it harm (not always possible). Then, while it is still in the net, drag a blunt knife head to tail down the fish and try to capture some mucus. Some fish; tangs and triggers, have ctenoid scales with no mucus, so they are difficult to scrape.

Then, add a drop of seawater to the mucus and look at it under the scope - watch for anything moving.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 12.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new