Help, polyp bailout

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all, the past few days I have been experiencing multiple corals having polyp bailout. I have currently lost 1 head of hammer, 3 heads of a torch, and my elegance is hanging on by a thread. I have been checking my numbers and am running out of ideas.
Salinity 1.025
Alk 11.5
Nitrate fluctuates between 5 and 10
Calcium 460
Magnesium 1350
Phosphates 0.25
Ph 8.2

I have been running 3 xr30s on the 125 with a red sea wavemaker on one side and a big hydor power head on the other that have been in the same position/pattern for the past 6 months. Have had my hands all over the tank and sump for cleaning/maintenance and dont feel any form of stray voltage. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having your hands in the tank won't tell you anything if your not grounded, use a volt meter to check for stray voltage. You Alk is kinda high but your Po4 is pretty high, has it been stable for a while or did it jump up to that #?
Polyp bailout doesn't mean the head is dead, the bailed had can still survive if it lands (or you place it) in a good spot

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have witnessed usually polyp bail out it a water chemistry issue. As your values are not terrible the only thing that kinda makes me worry is your elevated DKH. With is being so high and your nutrients a little lower could potentially cause issues with Euphyllia. I would try and lower DKH slowly over a period of time.

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk and phosphate are a little high.

Last time I was having bailout issues my phosphates were high, but a lot higher than what you are indicating.

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally try to keep it between 11 and 12 because I've had issues with the euphyllia not opening at values lower than 10. Also, the phosphates have been about that number for about the past 6 months where they were at .5. Since then I have added a gfo reactor and have slowly brought them down to that number

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally try to keep it between 11 and 12 because I've had issues with the euphyllia not opening at values lower than 10. Also, the phosphates have been about that number for about the past 6 months where they were at .5. Since then I have added a gfo reactor and have slowly brought them down to that number
How slow? Lowering Po4 too quickly will kill corals very fast

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made sure that the ac settings were correct and I lowered Po4 by adding a gfo reactor and using BRS gfo with their recommended quantity

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made sure that the ac settings were correct and I lowered Po4 by adding a gfo reactor and using BRS gfo with their recommended quantity
I once killed a colony of nice acans by going with the recommended brs high capacity gfo dosage. I'll never use that much again.... I wouldn't do more than 50% to 75% dosage

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the gfo reactor about 3 months ago. The pump i was using for it went out about 6 weeks ago and I replaced it with a sicce. I dont know if that would be the cause, but its possible

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I hadn't lost anything in 10 days now. I added a polypad in my sump to see if there were any metals in the water. It turned a light brown/tan which I figure is organic material. Today I woke up and have had 3 more euphyllia polyps bailout. Any other suggestions out there will be appreciated

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing looks unhappy. Everything's open and happy. Almost every day. The 3 corals that bailed out, were happy last night before the lights went out. The fish are fat and happy and havnt had any additions in the past 6 months.

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I've tried running carbon. My fiance uses 2 squirts of perfume a day and regularly uses hairspray, but does it in a different room or about 15 to 20 feet away from the tank at her vanity. Her vanity has been there for about 2 years. I dont know if it can't be affected from that distance?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I've tried running carbon. My fiance uses 2 squirts of perfume a day and regularly uses hairspray, but does it in a different room or about 15 to 20 feet away from the tank at her vanity. Her vanity has been there for about 2 years. I dont know if it can't be affected from that distance?

Is there a fan in the room or any type of air circulation? It's possible, that stuff hangs for a while. But, probably not the cause...hmm. Are there pests at all? Probably not but im trying :(

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its ok, the helps appreciated. Theres few pests in the system. There's a few Flatworms that have been in the system, but have a melanurus thats keeping them in check. Never seen any on the euphyllia though. Also have a few aiptasia, but the filefish keeps the majority in check or i get them with aiptasia x. Have dipped 99 percent of the corals before introduction into the system. Like I've said, the corals will be fully extended with no signs of bother, then will up and leave

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back