OP
T

tylr_am

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These conditioners reduce chlorine and chloramines and are not miracle additives. Just reduces elements. What you are doing is acceptable for freshwater
I suspect water retention and could Possibly be a liver issue
Do you think he is going to die?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These fish can be challenging. Assure it gets good water quality as they can be delicate compared to cowfish and other boxfish. Refrain from Tap water unless absolutely necessary. If LFS is selling high salinity water, I would get water elsewhere and as mentioned and RODI unit of your own, even a used one
I stopped selling these at my LFS because of how delicate they were.
As long as bloating subsides, it stands a chance and refrain from many chemicals that have a false claim and are alternatives rather than solution and create more problems than benefits

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a huge water change yesterday so I don’t know if it could still be water quality isssues
Unlikely to be a water quality issue else other fish in the tank would be affected at the same time, since they are in the same water. No other fish are breathing fast, right?

The swelling looks like constipation, but the rapid breathing indicates a systemic infection of some sort. The fish may have eaten some gravel or something causing a blockage and subsequent infection. There is no effective treatment for that though.

Jay

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely to be a water quality issue else other fish in the tank would be affected at the same time, since they are in the same water. No other fish are breathing fast, right?

The swelling looks like constipation, but the rapid breathing indicates a systemic infection of some sort. The fish may have eaten some gravel or something causing a blockage and subsequent infection. There is no effective treatment for that though.

Jay
No al the other fish have normal breathing

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use tap water. You can get an RO buddie for like 70$. These creatures are too sensitive for the garbage in tap water.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people have said he’s probably going to die but I am still hoping for a miracle
I am hoping for one too, such a beautiful fish, but yes, you should really invest in a ro system, I just got a new one in today.

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Just checked water quality everything was perfect

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any that u recommend that aren’t very expensive?
I dont have this one, so I can't personally recommend it, but it is cheap, and the reviews are ok. The downsides with this is the flow rate is around 2 gallons per hour, so the flow rate is very slow. The reviews also say some people experience leaking issues, but I mean for 70 bucks, it's pretty good. Definitely do your research though on this, because some filters create a lot of waste water. My RO filter makes way more waste water, than usable water, so make sure you have a good location for it. If you for some reason can't get a RO system, find a local place you can go to. Never use tap water again. Not worth the risks.

AQUATICLIFE Aquatic Life RO Buddie Plus DI Four Stage Reverse Osmosis Deionization Unit 50 GPD https://a.co/d/ctfG7hd

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have this one, so I can't personally recommend it, but it is cheap, and the reviews are ok. The downsides with this is the flow rate is around 2 gallons per hour, so the flow rate is very slow. The reviews also say some people experience leaking issues, but I mean for 70 bucks, it's pretty good. Definitely do your research though on this, because some filters create a lot of waste water. My RO filter makes way more waste water, than usable water, so make sure you have a good location for it. If you for some reason can't get a RO system, find a local place you can go to. Never use tap water again. Not worth the risks.

AQUATICLIFE Aquatic Life RO Buddie Plus DI Four Stage Reverse Osmosis Deionization Unit 50 GPD https://a.co/d/ctfG7hd
That’s the one I use. I just hook it up to my kitchen sink when I use it to make water.

Just to be clear here though, not using RO/DI isn’t the root cause of this fish’s issue.

Jay

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the one I use. I just hook it up to my kitchen sink when I use it to make water.

Just to be clear here though, not using RO/DI isn’t the root cause of this fish’s issue.

Jay
Ok thanks for letting me know that’s what a lot of people told me that it was using tap water

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
NU aquatics
Air, water and ice typhoon
BRS
SpectraPure

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back