OP
T

tylr_am

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite water change, the level may have been high.
What is your ammonia and how are you testing?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
I ran out of water quality testers I have a order coming in at 8 am tomorrow I use tap water and pre mixed saltwater from my fish store

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran out of water quality testers I have a order coming in at 8 am tomorrow I use tap water and pre mixed saltwater from my fish store
What do you mean? Do you do a 50 50 of LFS saltwater and tap?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Huge imbalance, likely a PH issue and uncertain numbers is what is going on and suddenly suspected why I asked those question. No Tap - trust me and invest in an RODI unit to gain full control of the water and water quality.
I used to do the tap water as I have only run large tanks and started to see hints of cyano and having a 5 stage unit reassured me it was pure laziness on my behalf. Tap alone has ingredients such as chloramines, lead, zinc and others and just not worth it . water conditioners such as Prime will dilute certain elements but not remove them.
RODI is the way to manage water which is the lifeline of all our specimens in the tank

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the saltwater comes at very high salinity so I mix it with dechlorinated tap water
In the future, use reverse osmosis water. It is just plain water with nothing in it. Tap water has many bad affects to any aquarium. What do you treat it with?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually treat with sachem prime
This seems ok, but most LFS sell RO water at less than a dollar a gallon. I would do that, or invest in a high-quality Reverse Osmosis filter. When using RO water, there is no need to treat it with anything, because it is just plain water. This limits risks of the chlorine, and other minerals and heavy metals from getting into the tank water. These things are not good for fish and maybe what is causing your beautiful puffer fish to be sick. Hopefully, the prime has done its job at purifying the water, but I wouldn't take the risk anymore and use RO water. I hope your puffer fish gets better. I am not sure if this is what is causing these symptoms but it definitely could be. My suggestion (though I have never kept a puffer fish), is to keep the water parameters stable, and very closely watch him. The symptoms you listed aren't enough to give a definite solution, or diagnose him, so closely watch him to see if anything else might be happening. I will be thinking about you since I know you love him. Keep me updated.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you recently added a new fish? If so, it may have been diseased and infected the puffer.

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems ok, but most LFS sell RO water at less than a dollar a gallon. I would do that, or invest in a high-quality Reverse Osmosis filter. When using RO water, there is no need to treat it with anything, because it is just plain water. This limits risks of the chlorine, and other minerals and heavy metals from getting into the tank water. These things are not good for fish and maybe what is causing your beautiful puffer fish to be sick. Hopefully, the prime has done its job at purifying the water, but I wouldn't take the risk anymore and use RO water. I hope your puffer fish gets better. I am not sure if this is what is causing these symptoms but it definitely could be. My suggestion (though I have never kept a puffer fish), is to keep the water parameters stable, and very closely watch him. The symptoms you listed aren't enough to give a definite solution, or diagnose him, so closely watch him to see if anything else might be happening. I will be thinking about you since I know you love him. Keep me updated.
Thank you I will let all of you guys know what happens hoping for the best just finished a water change

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a lemon peel angel about a week or two ago not very worried as he was quarantined before I got him
Is it eating fine too? If it is, then most likely the water is fine, and something is wrong with the puffer. Because both species are very sensitive to poor water quality.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Usually seachem prime but I also have api tap water conditioner which I put in to see if it can help a little
These conditioners reduce chlorine and chloramines and are not miracle additives. Just reduces elements. What you are doing is acceptable for freshwater
I suspect water retention and could Possibly be a liver issue

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it eating fine too? If it is, then most likely the water is fine, and something is wrong with the puffer. Because both species are very sensitive to poor water quality.
Please allow fish medics (why we are here) to help assess. While you mean well, The fish on the very first Post NOT eating, and if sensitive which generally not to water quality, how can you say water is fine?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please allow fish medics (why we are here) to help assess. While you mean well, The fish on the very first Post NOT eating, and if sensitive which generally not to water quality, how can you say water is fine?
I am not saying that the water quality is good, I am just saying that it might not be what's causing the problem. They haven't really given more info on the lemon peel angel, but if it's healthy right now, then it most likely means that something is wrong with the puffer, and the water is not the main cause of the problem. I am sorry, and I won't help anymore, but I was just trying to help because this guys seems pretty concerned, and I was just helping him with my knowledge. A couple posts up, I told them to listen to you more than me. I am only trying to help and I am sorry.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am not saying that the water quality is good, I am just saying that it might not be what's causing the problem. They haven't really given more info on the lemon peel angel, but if it's healthy right now, then it most likely means that something is wrong with the puffer, and the water is not the main cause of the problem. I am sorry, and I won't help anymore, but I was just trying to help because this guys seems pretty concerned, and I was just helping him with my knowledge. A couple posts up, I told them to listen to you more than me. I am only trying to help and I am sorry.
No need to apologize. This sort of stuff confuses a person and even leads to treating a fish with wrong meds. Its been determined the fish had constipation or a liver issue in which its retaining water called ascites or even edema

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back