Help quieting a overflow

  • Thread starter Thread starter crock921
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

crock921

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
40
Reaction score
5
Location
Miami, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help before my wife makes this tank go bye bye!

I have a 150g. The overflow is 2 1" pipes. It is about a 3' drop into an elbow, than a 5' run over to another 90 degree elbow which dumps into the sump (about 1')

There seems to be a little bit of air stuck in the 5' horizontal run (this run does have a downward angle of a few degrees), and the thing is loud. I dont want to say it is as loud as a flushing toilet, but it is louder than my wife is willing to tolerate. Any suggestions? There are two pieces of airline tube coming out of each of the overflow stand pipes to let some air out.

I was kind of thinking of putting a T in place of the last elbow then adding a few inches of up pipe with air holes in it to vent the system.

Also, the back of the stand is open. If I covered it with sound deadening insulation, would that help? Anything to quiet it would work.

Lastly, the return pump, a Rio 32, hums quite a bit. You can feel the vibrating up the side of the tank and even on the canopy. any trick to quiet that guy down?
 
I think I am going to try the method of adding a T fitting to the pipe that goes into the sump. Any experience with this?
 
A picture might help. What overflow do you actually have.....or is it simply the one inch pipe draining from the tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new