HELP! Radion won’t turn on!

AnemoneBay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So my Radion XR30 won’t turn on after I unplugged it, I tried re programming it and it said “offline” on the site, tried so many ways to get it to not say that and gave up in the end, went to reconnect the light to the tank and the light literally doesn’t work! No LED’s on the buttons work, nothing! What’s happening?

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the program to make sure the time is correct. I’ve had this issue a few times before.

EDIT: I misread this originally. When the timer was an issue, the light on the power supply was green. You should still check the time but it’s likely that the power supply or outlet may be to blame

OP
OP
AnemoneBay

AnemoneBay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the program to make sure the time is correct. I’ve had this issue a few times before.

EDIT: I misread this originally. When the timer was an issue, the light on the power supply was green. You should still check the time but it’s likely that the power supply or outlet may be to blame
I sadly can’t do that, my accounts stuck in offline mode on the website, so I can’t hookup my light

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s happened to me too (lol it’s frustrating to program these lights IMO). It was a while ago, but try unplugging the cable that’s connecting the light to your computer, log out of EcoSmart live, as well as your browser, and then try again.

I also think there’s an FAQ page on the ecotech site that helps.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a backup light?

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this happened to it turned out the cord had just was slightly removed from the power block. Unplug that and plug it back in.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check all connections. I had a light go dead after messing with wires and found the connection between the Power-supply and light was loose.

Jsnyder154

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I know this post is a little old. But I think this information really needs to get out there about Radions. I have looked through several forums and no one ever mentions this fix.
I had the same issue as many have had.
The lights won't go on. And they won't be recognized by Mobius. You try to reset them and the problem persists.
The solution is actually pretty simple.
Newer versions of Radions have capacitors in their power supply. You will see the blue LED remains on even when unplugged. What happens is when the Radion "glitches" from loss of power or any other technical issue. It becomes out of sync. Then the capacitor does what it is intended to do.
It holds the program.
Unfortunately the program is now corrupt so it is maintaining the problem.
The fix is easy, you need to unplug the device long enough for the capacitors energy to deplete. This is when the blue light goes out completely.
Then it actually resets.
A unfortunate result of technological advance is that the capacitor is quite efficient. I have had one Radion power pack hold power for almost 15 minutes. Now in our hobby 15 minutes may as well be 45 years, because when we trouble shoot we want immediate results. So few people will have the patience or time to wait for the amount of time needed for the device to reset. Especially when you are new to reef keeping and you haven't learned the extreme amount of patience this hobby requires. I've been keeping reefs for around 18 years now and I still need to work on patience lol. I have found the capacitor issue seems to be most prevalent in the Gen 5s. The Gen 6s reboot more efficiently In my brief experience with them so far, so they will do this far less often, if ever. And the Gen 3s wouldn't care if a nuclear explosion occurred. I have little experience with the Gen 4s, so I don't know if they have issues like the Gen 5s. But if they do or any Radions do for that matter.
Try this fix.
It has worked for me quite well and I wanted to share it with the community.
Radions are amazing lights and it would be a shame if people gave up on them.
Especially when the fix is really, really easy.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I know this post is a little old. But I think this information really needs to get out there about Radions. I have looked through several forums and no one ever mentions this fix.
I had the same issue as many have had.
The lights won't go on. And they won't be recognized by Mobius. You try to reset them and the problem persists.
The solution is actually pretty simple.
Newer versions of Radions have capacitors in their power supply. You will see the blue LED remains on even when unplugged. What happens is when the Radion "glitches" from loss of power or any other technical issue. It becomes out of sync. Then the capacitor does what it is intended to do.
It holds the program.
Unfortunately the program is now corrupt so it is maintaining the problem.
The fix is easy, you need to unplug the device long enough for the capacitors energy to deplete. This is when the blue light goes out completely.
Then it actually resets.
A unfortunate result of technological advance is that the capacitor is quite efficient. I have had one Radion power pack hold power for almost 15 minutes. Now in our hobby 15 minutes may as well be 45 years, because when we trouble shoot we want immediate results. So few people will have the patience or time to wait for the amount of time needed for the device to reset. Especially when you are new to reef keeping and you haven't learned the extreme amount of patience this hobby requires. I've been keeping reefs for around 18 years now and I still need to work on patience lol. I have found the capacitor issue seems to be most prevalent in the Gen 5s. The Gen 6s reboot more efficiently In my brief experience with them so far, so they will do this far less often, if ever. And the Gen 3s wouldn't care if a nuclear explosion occurred. I have little experience with the Gen 4s, so I don't know if they have issues like the Gen 5s. But if they do or any Radions do for that matter.
Try this fix.
It has worked for me quite well and I wanted to share it with the community.
Radions are amazing lights and it would be a shame if people gave up on them.
Especially when the fix is really, really easy.
How does one reconcile this easy fix with Ecotech having people send units in for "repair" for this issue? Rhetorical question.

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having this issue right now. When I first got the lights one of the four XR15s was a bit finicky to start. After a bit it just started working and I didn't worry about it.

Today I had to move some things around and unplugged it. Now it won't turn on again. The power supply works as I switched it to another light and that worked fine. That power supply for the working light did not cause the non-working light to go on.

Thus, clearly it's a problem with the light.

I tried the idea above about leaving it unplugged for a while to let the capacitors drain, but that didn't work.

This light has been plugged directly into the wall and then into two different very good power strips. No change.

Any ideas before I contact Ecotech?

Neko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy to find this thread. unplug the power, 15min wait is not a big patience!!!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back