Help raising pH

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at a total loss. I have a 300 gallon SPS dominant reef tank. For weeks I’ve been unsuccessfully trying to raise my pH. I’ve added a CO2 scrubber (recirculating) , I’m dosing several thousand ml of Kalk with a Kalkstirrer, and yet still my pH runs a low of 7.7 and a high of 7.9ish. Not sure what else to do? Any help would be much appreciated.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at a total loss. I have a 300 gallon SPS dominant reef tank. For weeks I’ve been unsuccessfully trying to raise my pH. I’ve added a CO2 scrubber (recirculating) , I’m dosing several thousand ml of Kalk with a Kalkstirrer, and yet still my pH runs a low of 7.7 and a high of 7.9ish. Not sure what else to do? Any help would be much appreciated.
Have you measured average CO2 levels in the room the tank is in? Like get a running average for a couple weeks. Low pH is almost always invariably tied to high CO2 getting absorbed into your water. Even if you're pulling outside air, on a larger tank especially the surface absorption can be greater than your skimmer contributes.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a helpful solution
Get a bigger CO2 scrubber. Run a bottled air supply in your fish room. Install a fresh air exchange. Breath less. Honestly don't know what you're looking for... only so much you can do to reduce CO2.

OP
OP
P

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a bigger CO2 scrubber. Run a bottled air supply in your fish room. Install a fresh air exchange. Breath less. Honestly don't know what you're looking for... only so much you can do to reduce CO2.
I tried running a second CO2 scrubber in line with the first, didn't help either.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think so? I purchased a 3D printed skimmer cup adapter from Fish of Hex.
I just used a simple threaded connector with barb.

1630458346553.jpeg

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly is your CO2 media being exhausted? I wonder if it's not being utilized efficiently. Is your skimmer on 24/7?

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all the connections air tight? My CO2 scrubber raised my pH from 7.9 to 8.3.

Think so? I purchased a 3D printed skimmer cup adapter from Fish of Hex.

I think the raise in PH due to a CO2 scrubber varies from tank to tank. I also have a recirculating CO2 scrubber on my 120 and it only raises my PH by .15. I live in Sourhern California and keep my windows open at all times and while it does keep my tank from hitting the low 7s, it doesnt drastically boost me into the 8s either.

Is the kalk you're dosing fully saturated? If so, and you're still not getting the high PH, you can always try two part dosing with Randy's two part. The PH boost is said to be pretty high but it also depends on how much you dose. The ALK solution is super concentrated so that's another thing to consider. You can also do half and half. Just have to get the dosing correct.

PH is definitely a struggle for many people. Hope you get some help with these comments.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are you measuring PH? If an apex probe or a probe in general is it calibrated? I believe this might be a testing error.

OP
OP
P

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the raise in PH due to a CO2 scrubber varies from tank to tank. I also have a recirculating CO2 scrubber on my 120 and it only raises my PH by .15. I live in Sourhern California and keep my windows open at all times and while it does keep my tank from hitting the low 7s, it doesnt drastically boost me into the 8s either.

Is the kalk you're dosing fully saturated? If so, and you're still not getting the high PH, you can always try two part dosing with Randy's two part. The PH boost is said to be pretty high but it also depends on how much you dose. The ALK solution is super concentrated so that's another thing to consider. You can also do half and half. Just have to get the dosing correct.

PH is definitely a struggle for many people. Hope you get some help with these comments.
What is Randy's two part?

OP
OP
P

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly is your CO2 media being exhausted? I wonder if it's not being utilized efficiently. Is your skimmer on 24/7?
Seems like it gets exhausted in a few days. Yes, skimmer is on 24/7 with the exception of a 2 hour window each night for feeding, I turn the pumps down and skimmer off.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back